I've got a very similar, if not the exact same kit, alvin. The box mine came in was branded Tronixy (or something similar)and came from Gearbest. I'm fairly certain it is a direct drive extruder.

The biggest challenge for me was leveling the bed. If you plug around the printer's menu, there's a way to move the head around to four different positions to check the distance between the nozzle tip and the print bed. I used a piece of paper as a feeler gauge to measure the distance. I made it close enough that there was a little bit of resistance moving the paper around between the nozzle and bed. However, from what I've been reading here, I may have had the nozzle on mine too close to the bed. Other than that though, assembling it was pretty easy, so it shouldn't be too difficult for you.

I agree with what Curious Aardvark said earlier, in that starting from scratch would be another good option. However, while I'm very intrigued with openscad, I don't think I could use it myself. There's a really good sticky post with a list of different CAD software options on this very board right here. There are a lot of high quality, powerful options for making your designs that are free or low cost. Most will have a feature that allows you to use a picture as a background that you can then trace over to copy a design.