Close

Cool Hello, new to 3DP and forum

Hi. New here. Curious what tips anyone might have for someone who would like to build one of these marvelous devices. I have a manufacturing engineeping background with cnc mill/lathe operation. im pretty crafthy and have plenty of jusnk to scrap from. I dont want to build a pile of junk, but a nice unit. I wish i had one, then i could simply print one, lol. No but seriously, before we are ALL taxed byu big brother for our knowledge, id like to have one going. ln fact, those of you capable of doing so ought to print as many kits containing all the plastic parts and ship them randomly to anyone who you know that might know people who know someone your friend knows. Seriously, before some federal intervention or otherwise regulation, or taxatiion or what have we. Well thanks everyone, I look forward to you advice and ridicule...

Mark

You won't get ridiculed by this community.

As with all projects, you have to plan for what you want. Do you want an industrial machine for mass production, or do you need a machine to test prototype designs? Is a desktop model with a print volume of 200 x 200 x 200 suitable, or do you want to print longer and wider items?

I suggest the you examine www.reprap.org to get an idea of the history and diversity of DIY printers.

After you have created a plan, feel free to come back and ask advice.

Old Man Emu

Engineer-in-Training MysteryAlabaster's Avatar
    Follow MysteryAlabaster On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by old man emu View Post
    You won't get ridiculed by this community.
    If you do, it will stop almost immediately. We pay attention to these things here.

I have access to two Makerbot Replicator 2 machines and one Makerbot Replicator 2X, and it's to the point now where if someone handed me a box of parts for either, I could assemble it no problem.

Once you have a plan, if you need help with putting it together don't be afraid to ask me, or anyone else on the forum.
    There are a lot of us who know our printers inside and out.