Close

Print3M Extremely Cheap Delta 3D Printer

Another amazingly cheap 3D Printer has launched an Indiegogo campaign today. The PrintM3 3D Printer uses the typical Delta robot technology. It was offered to the first backers for just $139. Currently that tier of rewards are sold out and the price is now $199. More details: http://3dprint.com/5310/printm3-3d-printer/

Here are the specs of the printer, which is still in the development stages:

• Printer Size: Height 520mm - Diameter: 300mm
    • Print resolution: 0.01mm
    • Build Envelope: 220mm height/ 200mm Diameter
    • Printer Speed 4800mm per minute
    • ExtruderTemperature: 255 C
    • Printing Nozzle Diameter 0.4mm [Note: 0.5mm to 1mm interchangable on your own]
    • Print Materials: PLA and ABS compatible 1.75mm+-0.1mm

Here is a picture of the proposed PrintM3:

Indiegogo link: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/3d-printer-printm3

Staff Engineer
    Oh man, between this and tghe MOD-t the pressure on other printer makers to bring their prices down will be phenominal. I wish them the best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Feign View Post
    Oh man, between this and tghe MOD-t the pressure on other printer makers to bring their prices down will be phenominal. I wish them the best of luck!
    No kidding. No one will pay $1000 for an FDM 3D printer anymore. These bigger companies better come up with something or they will end up being replaced.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by KrypTONight View Post
    No kidding. No one will pay $1000 for an FDM 3D printer anymore. These bigger companies better come up with something or they will end up being replaced.
    Yes, if they follow through and actually work.

Makibot sucks and was a year late at that.

Buccaneer is four months late right now, and they've had to drop the promised heated bed. Solidoodle had a ton of teething problems and is a rough product. Bare metal frame, not even powder coated, still requires plenty of adjustments to get it running right.

DaVinci is OK, but filament-chipped and requires an odd file format, locking in their own bad slicing software implementation. People are hacking on them to make them more useful, but it shouldn't be necessary.

Even a project with a working prototype can have a ton of troubles scaling up. People shouldn't be preordering based on a rendering from a company that has no track record, no prototype shown, no sample parts shown, no video showing sample parts being built by this design.

I think a 3D printer at this price point might be possible and profitable, but it needs volume sales and qualified, experienced people to design it so it's any good. These people do not appear to have any kind of track record.
    Last edited by JRDM; 06-05-2014 at 10:45 AM.

Staff Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by JRDM View Post
    Even a project with a working prototype can have a ton of troubles scaling up. People shouldn't be preordering based on a rendering from a company that has no track record, no prototype shown, no sample parts shown, no video showing sample parts being built by this design.
    I agree, I didn't even consider pledging for the MOT-t until after seeing that New Matter is an offshoot of a much larger, parent company with products I've used and enjoyed and partnered with an established manufacturing company.

That said, the mere existence of these puts pressure on the larger printer manufacturers, because even if the kickstarters are a gamble, at least some percentage of these new breed of low-cost printers will come to market with a competant stratagy for delivering on orders, and whoever that is will win the market in the long term. The established manufactures all have to race to meet that same price point before one of these startups does emerge victorious.

Im a bit sad to see that this doesn't look like it will be funded. Only $6K so far. This had a lot of potential to be the cheapest 3D printer ever (that is if they followed through).