I have just purchased a Monoprice Select v2 printer, and will be using it in an area of the house that is not climate controlled, and has some open windows.

While I know I can store opened spools in a container with a desiccant, I am concerned about the spool on the machine. I often start a print that will continue for a while after I go to bed. Then, the spool will sit until at least until I get up. Also, when I am doing rounds of 3D prints, I may do a print or two a day for a week straight. During that time, it is not really that practical to keep removing and storing the spool in the desiccant box.

First, about the desiccant box; I realize that some way to see the actual humidity in the box is good, and perhaps is sufficiently handled with a desiccant that changes color. For convenience of recharging, I see that there is a product that has a heater built in. When it needs to be dried out, you simply plug the device into the wall for a day, with the plug attached to the device. It says it can absorb 8-10 Oz of water in less than a week, before it needs to be dried. But, in my case, it should last much longer inside the chamber. One brand is the Eva-Dry, Is this a good device to get? This place has a similar one for $12 including shipping.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Comforday...552#about-item

Here is another type of dehumidifier. It is a Thermo-electric Peltier type, and is quite small. It says it can remove over 8oz of water a day (though this is probably only in very optimal conditions to allow for marketing exaggeration) and can hold 16 oz. The idea of using it in a garage is laughable, since air infiltration will grossly overwhelm its ability. But for our purposes, I am concerned about it overflowing one day when I forget about it for several days. Perhaps a drain to the outside can be added. $20, including shipping.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Della-Com...rage/683047249

I read on one thread where a person put the feed-spool into a chamber with a desiccant, but had a hole with some foam that the filament came through, to go to the machine. I would imagine that the desiccant would saturate nearly as fast as if it were in the room, because the daily change in barometric pressure would pump air in and out of the chamber, and the foam will not stop that. Though, perhaps if the chamber were more bag-like it would reduce that a lot. Another thought I had, would be to substitute that foam with the tip of a pencil-balloon. (the type that balloon twisters use) Cut off the last 1" or so, and put that over a polypropylene tube that the filament is fed through. Poking the filament through the rubber would form a tighter seal than the foam.

Are there any existing products that provide for humidification while the spool is on the machine? What do you all think of my ideas above?

-Joe