Close

Page 6 of 48 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    interested in seeing how this turns out. ever think of videoing the plate build?

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    you must be psychic.
    I'm doing a timelapse on this print even as I type :-)
    Got about an hour to go - looking pretty scary.
    Very very thin and lots of under and overhangs in the holes.
    I can't see any stringing, but then I'm not going that near. Don't want to disturb either the camera or the printer.
    Got to admit I'm seriously impressed with the hotend, extruder and the bowden setup.
    The extruder is about as basic as it gets: three pieces of metal and a spring.
    One of the things about this printer I really like is that you can see everything working.

I am still printing at 0.3mm, 210c and 90mm/s max print speed. S3d tends to apply lots of different criteria to print, so you rarely print anything at full speed.
    That said - it's 747 layers in 200 minutes.
    That's pretty good going by any standards :-)

I did also apply a small amount of 'smoosh'. But I didn't wimp out and use a brim :-)
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 06-14-2017 at 01:36 PM.

At 90% and definite slight wobble - I genuinely can't watch lol

Well i came back into the workshop for the last 1%.
    This is genuinely the most impressive thing I've yet to see an fdm printer do !

Fitted. Ended up with a bolt into the frame at the wide end and as that was pretty tight, I just used a plastic coated wire tie at the other end. Gathered the cables in the center below the motherboard and loosely held them with another tie (obviously, i did that first). They're just as effective as cable ties, but can be easily undone and redone.

And I believe that is the last piece of the puzzle :-)
    Looking at it I could have made the wide part wider and the narrow end wide enough so stick a frame bolt in as well. Maybe at some point in the distant future I'll print a wider one. For now I'm more than happy with what I've got.

Now as I bought the heated plate and that attaches with three long bolts.
    Printbite comes with a self adhesive backing. Should i need the glass for some reason, a couple of bulldog clips will easily do the job.
    So the seven short bolts and frame nuts that should have held the glass plate to the frame, weren't needed.
    I used 2 on the filament holder, 2 on the psu mounts and 1 on the baseplate. I still have 2 spare :-)

And can we hear some applause for Printbite as well.
    Stayed stuck, despite the slight wobble when it got tall !
    So, yes if you are building a delta - Printbite IS worth the money.
    And at the end of the day is £30 a lot for something that will last as long as the printer and means you never have to use tape, glue, sprays, scrapers or any of that other crap most of you deal with every day :-)

Right off to have a play with the timelapse video.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 06-15-2017 at 06:00 AM.

Yep.
    Printbite does give good stick. But it's mainly down to the lack of vibration on the delta. On some of the outlines between the holes you could see a tiny bit of wobble once it had some height.

If I ever print another one, it'll be wider at both ends and I'll probably use a brim :-)
    Impressive as it was, it was pretty nervewracking towards the end !

Got to see if I can mount the camera on the frame somewhere. Loved the way the filament spool was spinning round.
    Didn't help that it started early evening and went through to just after it got dark, so i lost the natural light.

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Very nice.

Hyrel definitely needs to make a delta.
    Fewer parts to go wrong, larger build volumes made cheaper.
    Much more fun to watch and nobody has done one with lots of interchangeable heads yet. :-)

Couple on kickstarter with a laser head and one that seems to have vanished that also claimed to have a built in 3d scanner.
    If I can find the software to convert a black and white image and produce the gcode to drive the laser, I'm pretty sure I can bolt the 1000mw laser from my tiny engraver onto the print head. Already got a power socket on the motherboard labelled: 'laser'.

It's worth a think anyway :-)

My thingiverse page with the mod files on.
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2386628

That print was super impressive...

If I were you (and I'm not) and had that printer and idea (which I dont) and had the guts to print that and walk away (which I dont) here is what I would have done...

instead of being flat, I would have given it a wavy profile (like cardboard innards) instead of a straight profile. would be much more rigid also.

I love it!!!! I am rethinking this printer now... wavering this or the prusa style from folgertec.......

Page 6 of 48 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast