Close

Duel Color single hot end.

I am modifying my printer to utilize duel extrusion....but with only one hot end. I was an investor in a kickstarter project call Prometheus. I don't know if they ever shipped anything, but I got my money back and decided I could build the system myself and so I did. I just completed the high power Bowden extruders. They use a 5:1 geared stepper motor along with a very large gear. The extruders are aluminum and will mount on my x-axis carriage. They will move up and down with the Z axis so the Bowden tubing length is held to a minimum. The filament "V" guide is something I made so if you want the files, let me know.

#136 Craig Anderson, Yesterday at 1:13 PM

I am modifying my printer to utilize duel extrusion....but with only one hot end. I was an investor in a kickstarter project call Prometheus. I don't know if they ever shipped anything, but I got my money back and decided I could build the system myself and so I did. I just completed the high power Bowden extruders. They use a 5:1 geared stepper motor along with a very large gear. The extruders are aluminum and will mount on my x-axis carriage. They will move up and down with the Z axis so the Bowden tubing length is held to a minimum. The filament "V" guide is something I made so if you want the files, let me know.

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    I was going to make a lame joke bout the dueling colors. But seeing what you have made, I'm pretty sure Duel is way more appropriate than Dual. I see a lot of issues with it, but I'd assume you've worked past the obvious ones already. I'm looking forward to seeing this work.

Is it feeding two thinner filaments into a larger head simultaneously, or stopping one color and running the other?

The V filament guide allows the printer to print with one of two materials at a time. Both are 1.75 mm.

I am mounting the extruders today and will start testing. This method has been used by many others, this is just my example.

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Marm, that wouldn't have been lame at all!

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Most of the succesful 2 in 1 sustems I've seen use a needle valve to switch between the two filaments to stop merging. How are you planning on seperating the filament at the nozzle end ?