Greetings Everyone! This is my first post on this wonderful forum. I wanted to introduce myself and ask a burning question to everyone quite fluent in 3d printing. Over the last few years, I have become increasingly interested in 3d printing as an alternative to CNC subtractive production.

I assume I am a little different from many of the typical 3d printing newbies in that I have experience in CNC machining and production. Over the last several months I have been reading and studying 3d printing and deciding what kind of printer I want to purchase. After a little while, it became evident to me that my best solution may in fact be building my own 3d printer. I came to the conclusion that the size of 3d printer I'm looking for carries a high cost, which (to me) seems to exceed the sum total of components.

My question to the community is as follows: Is building your own 3d printer a economically viable option provided you have the capability?

My CNC has a 1000mm³ stage, so I should be able to produce a rather large 3d printer frame. I have found material on this to be rather scarce (most seem to be delta 3d printers), and wanted to inquire as to some guidance on doing such a project. For me, stage size is the biggest driving force. I also need a heated bed, among other things.

I have a few more advanced questions for the community. I notice many of the 3d printers use ACME screws for their axis. Is there a particular reason v-belts are not used? Is it cost or ease of assembly? It would seem to be a good alternative as a 3d printer does not have lateral loads like a CNC does.

Lastly, am I missing a good source or community to guide me on this quest? I really appreciate any input and look forward to joining the community.