Close

Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
    Technologist
    Add Chayat on Shapeways
    I must admit I'm still finding it hard to believe we are looking at a $100 product. Will we have to purchase this new dampening system separately or is it in the $100?

Additionally having watched that assembly video I'm feeling a little better about my ability to construct the peachy. The only bit that I'm still dreading is attaching the two tiny magnets to the flexy-strippy-bit. (where they use tweezers in the video) I just know I'm not going to get them in the right place/aligned or even worse I'll be gluing the tweezers to the printer :/

Peachy Printer Representative
    Quote Originally Posted by Chayat View Post
    I must admit I'm still finding it hard to believe we are looking at a $100 product. Will we have to purchase this new dampening system separately or is it in the $100?
    You are indeed still looking at a $100 product! The new damping system replaces the old one and is included in the $100 kit.

Staff Engineer
    Speaking of, I would love to see a Hardware Update that talks a little bit about the new damping system. I'm still trying to wrap my brain around how the old "oiled tab damper" had memory to begin with.

Peachy Printer Founder
    Hey Feing perhaps I can explain what caused the memory here.

Ever notice how a droplet of liquid can stick to the side of a wall, It dose this because of a property called adhesion, we think that when the tab moved it was dragging the oil droplet into a new position, just like it would take a bit of energy to move a droplet up and down a wall. That little bit of energy was affecting the position of the mirrors.

There were other problems with oil too, it was spilling during shipping, it ran on to the mirrors and made them hard to clean, and it was hard to get just the right amount of damping.

To understand how the new damping system works I recommend goggling "eddy currents" which is something you can see in action in videos like this.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu1uRvErM80

Staff Engineer
    You know, I had seen those demonstrations before, but I always thought they required very large and powerful magnets, rather than just common neodymium magnets. When I'm home I'll have to scrounge up some copper pipe and see how well it works on the rare earth magnets I have. Though it looks like thicker pipe causes more damping.

Are you planning to have an extra magnet for this or can you just put the existing magnet on the mirror strip in a small ID copper tube without affecting the field from the coil?

Technician
    hmm- saw this on youtube....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sQzbZt34fc

very interesting...

Technician
    20140913_123859.jpg20140913_124618.jpg20140913_124658.jpg

Here are a few pictures of a rook I printed which is the same rook in the update with the rook and Yoda. I am using the magnetic dampening. I need to calibrate a bit more and my stand got bent which caused the rook to look like the Leaning Tower of Pisa haha, but otherwise I think that it looks pretty good. It looks better in real life though, since as was mentioned before it is not easy to photograph well. I was quite happy that the individual bricks making up the rook as well as the stairs look almost perfect in real life (though this is hard to see in these pictures). Hopefully this shows that anyone with a Peachy printer will be able to make nice prints.

By the way making large prints is totally possible now, I just don't feel like using all of my resin!

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by jstrack2 View Post
    20140913_123859.jpg20140913_124618.jpg20140913_124658.jpg

Here are a few pictures of a rook I printed which is the same rook in the update with the rook and Yoda. I am using the magnetic dampening. I need to calibrate a bit more and my stand got bent which caused the rook to look like the Leaning Tower of Pisa haha, but otherwise I think that it looks pretty good. It looks better in real life though, since as was mentioned before it is not easy to photograph well. I was quite happy that the individual bricks making up the rook as well as the stairs look almost perfect in real life (though this is hard to see in these pictures). Hopefully this shows that anyone with a Peachy printer will be able to make nice prints.

By the way making large prints is totally possible now, I just don't feel like using all of my resin!
    Any holes?

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_biddell View Post
    Any holes?
    No, but I think that the rook in the update did not either. I think that only Yoda did. I want to fix up my printer some first, but fairly soon I will try printing Yoda.

It looks very promising, and it's nice to see that "normal" people can make nice prints too

Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast