Hi Peoples,

First time asking a question here and looking for some tips on a specific issue I have.

I mainly print RELIEFS on my MakerBot using PLA filament. These have a large surface area which sits on the bed and then the design is printed on top and can extrude between 2-20mm. Think of a large coin with a fancy design raised upwards.

They actually print great with the first layers staying completely flat on the bed. I use a thin sheet of glass with Blue Painter tape and the PLA sticks well to it. I then remove the sheet of glass (which was held on by bull dog clips) and prise the print off using a scraper.

The problem is that when resting on a flat surface the print does not sit flat now. If I press one side the other lifts up (like a sea-saw) so the print becomes bowed. My reliefs need to be COMPLETELY FLAT after cooling.

At the moment I have to use a heat-gun until the print gets floppy and then press it between two tiles with some extra weight. Not really ideal and does not work when the top of the relief is not flat so I can't press evenly over the whole print (eg if I have a half face or half balloon relief) then melting and using pressure doesn't work)

Any ideas?

I have a PRINTinZ (Zebra) plate on order but don't know if this will fix the issue.

I hope someone can help - Thanks