Thinking of some practical aspects:
-Print fumes vs viable materials
-Air currents and print quality
-Small trash as a byproduct
-Noise too
-Access to the printer vs time required to print your designs

This all affects how / where you can use 3D printers. Let's start with the last one: Substantial designs seem to take a long long time to print - 20 hours or more I'd think. On the other hand libraries, and I guess many makerspaces too (???) only allow you to use the printer for just a few hours.

Supposedly PLA has very low health risks, but is there a decent write-up or reliabler research on potential health risks of 3D printing? It gets more tricky with other materials, so maybe you won't be able to use those features of your printer. Does it even make sense to run your printer in the living room or the bed room, or would you typically place it in a workspace or a garage?

If you just provide very good ventilation, won't the air currents affect print quality? Good enclosures would provide a solution to both problems, but then you'd have to arrange an air duct to lead the air outdoors. Don't think any consumer grade printers come with enclosures anyway?

After a (PLA) print job you usually end with some little trash too, like small pieces of filament, supports, the extra base etc. Unless you clean quite dutifully, eventually that stuff would float everywhere if you use your printer regularly.

Are 3D printers really practical outside of a dedicated man cave? I take some of you folks have that since you're running several 3D printers?