Close

Student

Question FFCP X-Axis Warped/Bent

I have a Flashforge Creator Pro since mid June 2015, I think I am producing reasonable prints, however levelling the HBP is a real pain, thinking that the alum bed maybe warped I purchased few glass plates (229 x 152 x 6 mm), with 6mm thickness the glass plate should be straight and level, also printed an adapter to mount a Dial Indicator for accurate measurements. As you can see from the images below the Dial Indicator shows that the glass plate is level towards the middle for about 74mm in length and then drops off towards the left and right edges by -0.20mm. To confirm the glass plate is warpped I flipped the glass plate and remeasured expecting to see the edges to be +0.20mm, instead the Dial Indicator measured the same as the other side - level towards the middle about 74mm in length and drops off towards left and right edges by -0.20mm. This to me confirms that the X-Axis is warped/bent, there where no errors in the Y-Axis. This I think also explains the difficulties in levelling dual nozzles - ie you can get both nozzles level in the middle of the bed but one of the nozzle goes out of whack towards the edges of the bed.

Apart from purchasing new X-Axis rods, I thought the simplest way is to rotate one of the rod 90 degrees clockwise and the other rod 90 degrees anti clockwise, I've had a quick look at the X-Axis but am a little puzzle on how to go about doing it, would very much appreciate if anyone can advise how to loosen the X-Axis rods so I can adjust accordingly or would also appreciate any other suggestions. I've emailed Flashforge in China but have not heard back from them.

Image 1: showing Dial Indicator measurements - level towards the middle about 74mm in length and then drop off to -0.20mm left and right edge
    Image 2: successfully printed two colour frog when positioned within the 74mm leveled area (no support)
    Image 3: another successfully print Julia Vase Heatwave again within the 74mm leveled area (no support)
    Image 4: failed print of an Elephant (trunk failed) even with support, note object extends outside of the levelled area

5DM36176.jpg5DM36180.jpg5DM36183.jpg5DM36184.jpg

Thank you
    Attached Images Attached Images

Your rods aren't bent, they are sagging in the middle due to the weight of the extruder. Basic physics at work. What can you do to fix it? Removing the left extruder (if you're not using it) is the popular option. After that you can go Bowden, although that will present its own problems. Last option is to modify the printer by installing larger (and heavier - caution!) rods.

Student
    Sebastian, thank you for your suggestions, I would agree with the sagging if the reading was positive (+0.20mm), a negative value (-0.20mm) suggest the rods are convex. I'm interested in your suggestion "installing larger (and heavier - caution!) rods" especially the "caution!", as I'm planning to replace the extruder carriage with alum.

Student
    Well I've heard back from Flashforge in China - good news, they are going to send me replacement X-Axis rods.

Let us know if it helps!

Would also like to see how the new rods perform with the dial indicator. Chances are - and this is based on everything I have read from other 3D printers - the outcome will be similar to what you have now but you never know.

As to your question regarding the downside of heavier rods, this will increase the total moving mass even more resulting in greater corner ringing.

Hello, I am having the same exact issue. Did the new rods fix you issue?

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by thor2257 View Post
    Hello, I am having the same exact issue. Did the new rods fix you issue?
    Flashforge did not send the replacement rods

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    only been a few months - I've had stuff from china take longer than that.

Can't you just buy some 8mm steel rods from a hardware store ?
    Nice frog :-)