Close

Thread: Skipped layers

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian Finke View Post
    I don't how experienced you are but when I look at your photos they scream of an uncalibrated extruder. Have you calibrated?

- Jaggy/uneven/ concave/convex sidewalls: uncalibrated extruder
    - Pointy corners on roof: uncalibrated extruder
    - Artifacts: Bad retraction settings
    - Floor wider than sidewalls: bed temp greater than glass temp of material
    The extruder is calibrated, but i am slightly overextruding at the moment due to an increased filament diameter. The filament increased in diameter to about 1.95 mm. However i am not certain about this because i do not trust my caliper, and that much overextrusion would be much more impactful. This causes excess plastic at 100% infill (solid bottom) causing the elephant foot.

More so, overextrusion would not cause a LACK of filament on certain layers/skipped layers. In that case i think the retraction settings are more likely.

minimum distance: 1.5mm
    retraction speed: 60mm/s
    retraction amount: 2.5mm for some earlier prints and 1.5mm for later prints
    travel speed: 150 mm/s
    Combing: all

Although if this was the culprit i would expect to see this on all retractions, not just specific layers.

EDIT:
    I am printing now with 1.5mm retration, blobbing and stringing increased. But no holes in this print so can not say anything about skipped layers.

EDIT:
    Marked the filament 130 mm from the top of the extruder. Extruded 100mm at 100mm/min. The mark was 30 mm from the extruder top. 100mm/100mm was extruded, which should be ok. Ofcourse wiping the mark off with ethanol afterwards.
    Last edited by Reaping miner; 08-26-2016 at 05:25 AM. Reason: edited diameter (Borrowed a caliper) and added comment, added extruder calibration