Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    lol there's no accounting for taste ;-)
    Hi

Goes well with bacon ...

=====

There is indeed a wide range of "stink" associated with ABS. Different people are sensitive to this or that specific "stuff". Filament that drives one person out of the room gagging can be almost un-noticable to somebody else. Get another batch of filament from another vendor ... the first person does not notice an issue and the one that didn't notice anything is now going ... yuck ...

Bob

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
    Hi

Goes well with bacon ...

=====

There is indeed a wide range of "stink" associated with ABS. Different people are sensitive to this or that specific "stuff". Filament that drives one person out of the room gagging can be almost un-noticable to somebody else. Get another batch of filament from another vendor ... the first person does not notice an issue and the one that didn't notice anything is now going ... yuck ...

Bob
    I don't smell it at all most of the time. By product of my career in plastic injection molding. And when I do smell it, I find it somewhat pleasant as it reminds me of my motorcycles.

ABS is used for the bodywork, and they can get quite warm at times, plus I have done a few repairs on the plastics in my day. Much like how some people love the smell of gasoline, because they spent a lot of time at the races as a kid.

Engineer-in-Training
    Hi

ABS does not really bug me much either. Occasionally I'll get a batch at a temperature that I will notice. When I do, others generally do not notice it.

Bob

as far as toxic fumes are concerned is it ok to have an enclosure with no vent tube and than just have the printer near a window fan?

Engineer-in-Training
    Hi

I have always just run the printer in a very normal room and not worried about it. So far I have not dropped dead because of it I have never seen any data that shows normal filaments at normal temperatures are a health hazard. Some of the older (years ago) ABS formulations were a bit stinky, that's about it.

Bob

Some people would disagree

https://3dprintingindustry.com/news/...es-vocs-60796/

Quote Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
    Hi

I have always just run the printer in a very normal room and not worried about it. So far I have not dropped dead because of it I have never seen any data that shows normal filaments at normal temperatures are a health hazard. Some of the older (years ago) ABS formulations were a bit stinky, that's about it.

Bob

Engineer-in-Training
    Hi

I have never seen a HVAC system that does not meet their "air exchange" criteria.....

Bob

Engineer
    Switch to PetG
    its like ABS
    except it doesnt Smell, warps way less and its stronger. oh and considered food safe. (not harmful particles) so ive heard.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by pjfossee View Post
    I just graduated high school and am moving on to college in a few months. I have a 12" i3v and I'd like to bring it with me. My roommate likes 3d printing as well so he's ok with this. However, for his sake and my sake, I'd like to build an enclosure for the printer. Its dimensions would be about 24" wide x 24' tall x 30 " deep. My hope is that it will minimize the sound level from the printer, allow a higher ambient temperature in the enclosure for better ABS prints, and possibly filter the ABS smell or vent it out somewhere. I'm also planning on adding an octopi setup. Anyways, I had a few questions.

The first is should I add additional heating to the enclosure or will the 12" bed be enough?

Second, how hot should the enclosure get with the stepper motors inside it? I will be able to move the electronics outside the enclosure but I don't believe that will be possible with the stepper motors.

Third, I was considering using peltier thermo coolers to cool the stepper motors and as a byproduct add additional heat to the enclosure. They are about 5 amps each but would run off of a separate power supply from the printer's. Is this feasible?

Lastly, for filtering the ABS fumes, I'd like to at least eliminate the smell if not the nanoparticles too. What, if any, kind of filter material would you recommend? Activated carbon, HEPA, anything else? I envisioned a fan blowing the fumes through the filter.

Thanks!
    I made enclosures for both my printers, 8" i3v and a 10" Pegasus. they were made from fairly cheap materials, 3/4"x 1/16" aluminum angle from the hardware store, Foamboard with aluminum foil glued to the inside and some corner peices I designed and printed. I have not had a need to add any additional heating to them the heated bed gets the insides plenty warm. My printers live in the garage which is thankfully heated and insulated but I don't keep the heat up too high, 40F in the winter. I have not had any issues with the steppers nor the electronics getting too hot. I did relocate the power supply to outside the thermal envelope so it can breathe cooler outside air and so as not to cause any odd air currents inside the enclosure. I posted some pictures a while back but I can't seem to find the post.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12