Close

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Engineer
    Ok, I did some testing, and I found out why the code keeps getting repeated. I'll explain it in the other thread so I don't hijack this one.

Add gmay3 on Thingiverse
    Ok so here's a little update on progress of the rear mounted, angled filament spool holder design.

I finished creating models that fit correctly as replacements of the left and right LCD bracket parts. I am planning to create a 3 part holder similar to my LED snap on tray that will extend from these new left and right LCD brackets. When this first prototype is complete, I'll be able to see what reinforcement might be needed after this first prototype.

Technologist
    Add usarmyaircav on Google+ Add usarmyaircav on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by gmay3 View Post
    Ok so here's a little update on progress of the rear mounted, angled filament spool holder design.

I finished creating models that fit correctly as replacements of the left and right LCD bracket parts. I am planning to create a 3 part holder similar to my LED snap on tray that will extend from these new left and right LCD brackets. When this first prototype is complete, I'll be able to see what reinforcement might be needed after this first prototype.
    Looking forward to seeing this!

Technologist
    Hey gmay3, just wondering if you had seen this google plus post. https://plus.google.com/u/0/11396936...brctP2H?cfem=1

Add gmay3 on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by usarmyaircav View Post
    Hey gmay3, just wondering if you had seen this google plus post. https://plus.google.com/u/0/11396936...brctP2H?cfem=1
    Hey usarmyaircav! No I actually hadn't seen this before. This seems like a great design to keep filament environmentally stable and it's a good example of horizontal filament mounting. I like the use of filament guide tubes too, pretty cool.

I haven't seen the need to use desiccants to dry out my filament in a container in my environment in Philadelphia. My primary goal is to extract fumes from the printer and make the printer/powersupply/filament/octopi be in one standalone enclosure to I can move it around easily.

Add RobH2 on Thingiverse
    I like that sealed filament design in theory. If you never swap out types of filament its particularly attractive. I keep my filaments in white 5gal. restaurant buckets with sealed screw lids that have 2" of desiccant beads in the bottom. I'm in Baltimore and have experienced some moisture issues. But not since I started storing the filament this way.
    Bambu P1S/AMS
    NVision4D http://nvision4d.com

Add gmay3 on Thingiverse
    I saw this bit of genius today:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Buil...inky-projects/

I'm thinking of maybe incorporating a cook top range hood it into the design. I've seen models that incorporate a light bulb outlet, extractor fan, two speed exhaust fan speed control, and connection to outdoor ducting all for around 40 dollars. Not to mention material to make a top face of the enclosure!

I'm guessing that on the max output of these things it would be too loud and windy to print but the lower setting might work.

I'd be interested in hearing what you guys think!
    Last edited by gmay3; 12-02-2014 at 02:51 PM.

Technologist
    Makes pretty good sense. I was wondering about a flexible exhaust hose for out a window, with some type of baffling so the cold air doesn't come back in. Too complicated?

Engineer
    I'm still working on my "curtains" concept enclosure for the printer. I've got the mounting pieces designed, I just need to print them out and assembled. As for my filament, I got a medium sized clear plastic bin, wide enough to hold 5 MakerFarm spools on a horizontal rod (1" dowel) with the plastic colour-change bead desiccant on the bottom.

Add gmay3 on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by usarmyaircav View Post
    Makes pretty good sense. I was wondering about a flexible exhaust hose for out a window, with some type of baffling so the cold air doesn't come back in. Too complicated?
    Yes absolutely my plan. Right now I have access to the clothes dryer exhaust (4 inch flexible metal ducting) to get it out of the house. Later on I would be interested in using a more discreet plastic flexible tubing like a 3 inch or so to vent out a window. Reducing the ducting size also will reduce the airflow in the enclosure which might be a plus if the default fan speeds are to fast.

The hoods I'm looking at come in 30 inch wide and 24 inch wide models. I'm guessing the 24 inch is the way to go. The exhaust ports on them mate to either a 3-3/4 inch by 10 inch rectangular duct or a 7 inch circular duct. Both are adaptable to 4 inch circular ducting used from the dryer exhaust.

Something to exhaust could be easily made with baffling that could go into a window. Or there are things like these available.
    http://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Whynte...ust+window+kit

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast