Close

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Engineer
    If all else fails, you could use the ol' standby of packaging tape as a "hinge".

Quote Originally Posted by AbuMaia View Post
    If all else fails, you could use the ol' standby of packaging tape as a "hinge".
    Lol no need for that they work they are just bulky

Add gmay3 on Thingiverse
    Looking good sniffle! I'm happy with the performance of my rear mounted spool holder so I will release it on thingiverse as soon as I can.

I'm going to build a model of my current enclosure design out cardboard boxes from left over the holiday online shopping stockpile . I mainly want to make sure my dimensions are correct and that the door design I have in mind will allow enough space to change the spool.

I like the dimensions you have for your enclosure. I'm trying to do the bare minimum needed as well so this thing isn't huge lol! (I'm provisioning for a removable base so that when I need more room to work on something I can take the front, back, top, sides, and door off all in one piece. (hopefully)

Quote Originally Posted by sniffle View Post
    Its not 100% complete still needs to be sealed to retain heat and the 1/8th plexi needs to be replaced with 1/4 for strength but it works quite well quiets things down and keeps kiddo hands away. I designed and printed the hinges based on the connect pieces. They still need to be tweaked a little as well.

Engineer
    wouldnt enclosing the printer, reduce the cooling on the hot end heatsink?

Add gmay3 on Thingiverse
    That's a good point you bring up adamfilip. I am also a little concerned about the ramps board as well.

I'm wondering how much heat is present inside the enclosure during a 1-2 hour print. I'm planning to use mine more as a ventilation hood than a heated enclosure but I know even with that goal in mind I'm still going to have some heat buildup.

I have actually monitored my 12" printer's temp with a thermometer it never got above 50C inside the enclosure(within 4 inches of the top which is where it will be the hottest). It kept things nice and warm but never hot. It made printing ABS much easier.

keep in mind my enclosure is 1/8th plexi(couldnt afford 1/4 at the time) and 1/4" ply

Add gmay3 on Thingiverse
    I have actually monitored my 12" printer's temp with a thermometer it never got above 50C inside the enclosure(within 4 inches of the top which is where it will be the hottest). It kept things nice and warm but never hot. It made printing ABS much easier.

keep in mind my enclosure is 1/8th plexi(couldnt afford 1/4 at the time) and 1/4" ply
    Very interesting! Thanks for the data point sniffle! Do you use the normal makerfarm hotend fan or the Clough42 fan system?

I originally was using the original makerfarm setup, then moved to havign that fan reversed so that i could print clough's design, and now use clough's setup :-)

Add gmay3 on Thingiverse
    I originally was using the original makerfarm setup, then moved to havign that fan reversed so that i could print clough's design, and now use clough's setup :-)
    Very cool! This is great news, I'm not worries about any hot end overheats then. Thanks sniffle!

no problem, keep in mind that my enclosure is a 2' cube because of the size of the 12" It takes a lot more to heat up that much volume compared to what would be required for an 8" enclosure.

I'm really looking forward to your spool holder, because then i can move my display outside of the enclosure and the spool inside. It shoudl make life much better i can also add some engineered support to the plexi top

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast