Close

Engineer-in-Training

Cleaning up holes in printed jobs?

After printing a job, I can use drill bits to clean up holes as long as they are 1/2 inches or smaller. How do i clean up holes larger than 1/2 inches? Sandpaper wrapped around dowels may work but how do I get correct diameter of the wrapped sandpaper?

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    print a cylinder the right diameter.
    ie: measure the thickness of your sandpaper.

Then print a cyllinder the right diameter to fit the hole with a layer of sandpaper wrapped round it.

possibly you can find a round file or polishing stone in the correct diameter of your hold
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#round-abrasive-files/=134vibm

just easier to make your own. How long does a hollow cylinder take to print - not long.

Follow 3dex ltd On Twitter Add 3dex ltd on Facebook
    It takes some practice... but we use a soldering iron to clean up prints. Our soldering iron has a flat head tip (like a screw driver) which can be used to nicely clean up prints. They also don't cost that much money!

Engineer-in-Training
    Just a simple round file. It doesn't have to match the diameter of the hole unless you are trying to hone it to an exact diameter.

In which case, you need a good reamer for each size anyways.

Generally if you got your hole size right in the first place, then you just need the part that's supposed to fit in to clean it up.

Engineer-in-Training
    Hi

Drill bits keep right on going past 1/2 inch .....

One trick is to design the holes so they match the bits you happen to have.

Bob

Engineer-in-Training
    I have drill bit set going from 1/16th to 1/2th and another set going from 1mm to 7mm. I don't have drill bits larger than those sizes.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffmorris View Post
    I have drill bit set going from 1/16th to 1/2th and another set going from 1mm to 7mm. I don't have drill bits larger than those sizes.
    Hi

For not a lot of money, you could get a larger range of drills. You are not after CNC type quality so the eBay suppliers (or similar) are your friends in this case. Just keep them separate so you don't try to do anything fancy with the cheap ones. No fancy coatings, no super guide setups, no name brand, just dirt cheap drill bits. Randomly picked auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8pc-Jumbo-Si...YAAOSw9eVXUIeR

Eight bits, $24.39 including shipping. A bit more quality time spent searching probably would find a set for under $20.

Bob