Close

Question Questions: Current 2016 state of Kinect v1/v2 use in 3d capture?

I'm self-learning about the use of 3d scanners so pls forgive any odd questions.

I see from cursory research that Kinect V2 don't scan well? The articles I've found date from years ago, have things changed that make the V2 viable over the 360 v1?

It's tough to tell if the Skanect software actually supports V2 now, as prior at release they did not as they claimed the results were unsatisfactory. Is this a fact due to the hardware being different or simply the software tools not accessing the capabilities proficiently yet?

Also curious if it is beneficial to have 2 or more Kinect sensors to scan at same time and then merge the data into one object, or is simply walking around the subject good enough with just 1 sensor?

How much better are the retail/commercially sold scanners vs what you can get from the Kinect v1?

I plan to scan the human form for 3d printing and experiment with portraits. Any advice and links related to making small scale full body portrait scanning (technique and tech related) would be appreciated

Thanks so much

Staff Engineer
    It doesn't look like Skanect supports the Kinnect V2, or has any plan to. You can read about why on Skanect's forum page: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...ct/j8-hqrZIu-U , although at least part of the reason probably is due to Microsoft providing the necessary software for free. The V2 has a different sort of sensor than the V1; it works off a "time of flight" algorithm, and seems better at capturing detail on smaller objects. There were some problems integrating it into the 3D Builder application built into Windows 10, but they seem to have worked them out now, according to Microsoft, which has some videos demonstrating its use (particularly #5): https://developer.microsoft.com/en-u...lder-resources

I'm not sure if they've worked out a way to couple different scanners together to capture a single object; you might ask them about that. But they do seem to prefer putting human subjects on a turntable and rotating them to the walk-around method. If you do put any of this into practice, please post back here with your results, okay?

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com