Close

thinking about a second printer

I bought my xyz davinci pro last November. Sure. it has had it's hiccups but I got through them and I feel like I am actually better now because of them. It has been 6 months of experimenting and learning. Some of my prints take so long to print and I am very impatient. Right now I have been printing something for 5 hours and that started me thinking again about a second printer. While my printer is printing something I am stuck. I can design something, then I have to wait. I HATE waiting. I use a Gecko Tek build plate so I don't even have to wait for anything to cool at the end of the print. They pop right off.

So now I am starting to think about a second printer. My first thought was another davinci pro, but then I started thinking why would I get a second one? Besides the obvious, I already know it. Maybe I should look for something different. Maybe a dual extruder? Something faster, that's for sure. Maybe something small and fast? And I have to be able to justify the price to myself and more important, to the Mrs. I bought my first printer ready to fly. Maybe I should build one now?

So, what would Jesus do? What do you guys do that have that have more than one printer? I'm guessing it is kind of an evolutionary process, build a printer, tweak it, learn it, and move on to the next printer. Any thoughts?

Or should I just learn to relax?

Technician
    I started with a Printerbot Simple Metal. Great little printer btw. Then moved to a Makergear M2 and never looked back. If I ever add a 3rd printer it will be another M2. The Printrbot is still in service too.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    well I've got two makerbot replicator clones.
    unfortunately I no longer have any deskspace in my workshop - the laser engraver is tiny and sits on the little mini computer I do the 3d stuff on.

If I had the space, I can honestly say that by now I would have bought a wanhao duplicator i3.

Of failing that, assuming they were shipping, one of the little tiko delta printers. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ody-3d-printer

I figure I could probably fit that on the window sill, and love watching delta's work.

If I had lots of money then I'd get a bnc3d sigma. Just love the way they sorted out proper, clean, dual head printing.
    But as the skintness isn't looking like going away any time soon, I'll stick with what I've got :-)