Close

3D Printed Saxophone

You may have heard the name Olaf Diegel before, that's because he is the man who has been 3D printing several musical instruments, including guitars and drums, in collaboration with 3D Systems. Recently The CEO of 3D Systems, Avi Reichental challenge Diegel to 3D print a saxophone next. Diegel gladly took the challenge and has done just that. 3DPrint.com was able to talk to Diegel about his work, and has posted an article about it all here: http://3dprint.com/10714/olaf-diegel...int-saxophone/

What do you think? Is this the future of musical instruments, or just a fun way to involve 3D printing into the production of another incredible instrument? Check out the video below of the Saxophone:

Well thats just plain cool.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Krassenstein View Post
    What do you think?
    I think you should concentrate on posting stories more like this, I don't want to see any more 3D printed guns, we've been there, we don't want to see any more 3D printed shoes, been done by 50000 people...

Now this, this is something different. I don't and never have played a Sax, but mainly for the reason is they are an expensive instrument to buy - I am amazed it plays.

Schools will be able to print their own instruments out and not be hampered by funding... etc etc.. this is a really good thing.

Staff Engineer
    Good point there, when 3D printing, go after the most expensive and complex thing you can think of. Maybe a scaled-up Swiss watch wall clock next?

...What kind of madness did it take to invent the Saxophone anyway?

Technologist
    Add bshadown on Thingiverse
    I want it the only reason i never played the sax Was, becouse they cost a lot, any idea if he is releasing the .stl file perhaps??