Close

Glass Filament for Makerbot Replicator 2x?

Hi! I've never used a non-ABS material before, but I've been looking to try out a glass filament. The particular one I am looking at has the same width as the filament I'm using now, and melts at about 5 degrees celsius lower than the current temperature I'm using. Could using the glass filament ruin the printer in any way?

Engineer-in-Training
    I think you mean T-Glass (which is a plastic, not a real glass) ?

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Tantalizing View Post
    Hi! I've never used a non-ABS material before, but I've been looking to try out a glass filament. The particular one I am looking at has the same width as the filament I'm using now, and melts at about 5 degrees celsius lower than the current temperature I'm using. Could using the glass filament ruin the printer in any way?
    There is no Glass filaments, there is TGlase (not TGlass...) and if it is the stuff you get here:
    http://taulman3d.com/t-glase-features.html

Then as Ailbert said, that is plastic, it's not glass.

Considering Glass melting temperature is around 1400c, I don't think we'll be printing in Glass on our desktops any time soon
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Ahh, that's what I meant. I never realized the melting point of actual glass was so high! I was just thinking that it was some type of glass that had an especially low transition temperature (I know there are a lot of types of glass, like pyrex, so it didn't seem too alien that one could be a really low melting point). Thank you for your responses!

Student
    Will T-glass work in a stock .4mm Replicator 2X nozzle.

The advantage of a glass filled filament would be strength. But I doubt any Extruder except maybe a specialized one just for that filament would work. We use glass filled plastic in the plastic industry all the time. It makes the plastic really stiff, but it's also a little more brittle.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Print Plastic View Post
    Will T-glass work in a stock .4mm Replicator 2X nozzle.
    yes it will