Close

My 3d printer keeps printing the same thing no matter what the model I try to prnt is

Hey guys, im new here but not new to 3d printing. I built a prusia I3 from a kit and it worked perfectly for about a year. Skip to a week ago and I got an ssd drive for my computer and did a fresh install to the new drive. Now for some reason my printer prints the same thing every time i try to print any model.

I believe this is caused by me loosing my custom settings on cura and pronterface. It tries to print a square and tried to do the bottom layer but it just keeps going over the same spot and builds up diagonally.

Here is my start gcode:
    ;Sliced at: {day} {date} {time}
    ;Basic settings: Layer height: {layer_height} Walls: {wall_thickness} Fill: {fill_density}
    ;Print time: {print_time}
    ;Filament used: {filament_amount}m {filament_weight}g
    ;Filament cost: {filament_cost}
    ;M190 S{print_bed_temperature} ;Uncomment to add your own bed temperature line
    ;M109 S{print_temperature} ;Uncomment to add your own temperature line
    G21 ;metric values
    G90 ;absolute positioning
    M82 ;set extruder to absolute mode
    G92 X0 Y0 Z0 E0
    G90; set absolute coordinates
    G1 F{travel_speed}
    ;Put printing message on LCD screen
    M117 Printing...

This is what it prints no matter what i do.

Any help would be really appreciated!

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    umm - have you tried a different slicer ?

Also resetting the printer firmware would be a good place to start.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    umm - have you tried a different slicer ?

Also resetting the printer firmware would be a good place to start.
    Yes, I have tried: cura, slic3r, and matter control.

I don't believe resetting the firmware will work, here's why:

When I try to print old .gcodes I had before I reset my computer they print fine (except on the wrong location on the bed.) So i dont belive the firmware is the problem.

Any Ideas? Thanks!

anyone have any ideas?

Senior Engineer
    Open the gcode file you think you have saved in Cura and see if it is what it should be. It sounds to me like you are not making the file you think you are making.

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Bring up the gcode file(s) for a problem print in an independent viewer like gcode.ws and see what each layer looks like there. That should help determine whether the problem is in the gcode file or in how the printer is acting on the gcode file.

If the viewer shows similar issues in the starting layers, it suggests the problem is either in the model design or the slicer settings. I've had cases where the printer starts out printing incorrectly, only to later find that the issue was the part design had skinny protrusions on the bottom that lifted the part off the bed, or very thin walls that the slicer ignored since it couldn't tell the printer how to print them.

EDIT: Looks like Mjolinor and I suspect the same thing...

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I'll check it out and see if anything is weird.

Nope, there was no similarities in any of my gcodes... I used gcode.ws the models looked perfect. I am truly stumped.
    Last edited by ziconceo; 05-01-2016 at 11:51 PM.

I found the problem! It was cura!

There is a setting that says "machine center 0,0"

Machine> Machine settings> tick the box that says "machine center 0,0"

The reason my printer was printing a square was because it though it was hitting the limit of the print bed when it really wasn't.