Close

Add stargatedalek on Thingiverse

Purchasing First 3D Printer

I have minimal experience using 3D printers and as I've become more involved lately with 3D modelling I'd love to be have one of my own. I'm looking for one I can use to print detailed figurines, particularly very small ones (2-6 cm). Speed and aesthetics of the printer itself are not issues for me I just want a printer that is reliable and prints in fine detail, preferably one that doesn't use cartridges but uses spools to save money on refills. I've seen refurbished printers at great prices but I don't know if that would be advisable or not (as I said, I don't care how the printer looks just that it works well). Apologies in advance if this is a very general or newb question, I'm still very new to this industry.

Engineer-in-Training
    Detailed, small models are best printed on an SLA printer. FDM printers are not great at capturing fine details.

Same as above, look for a B9 creator, formlabs or similar machines.

Sorry but a resin printer really won't meet my criteria. The refills are too expensive and the printers themselves cost into the thousands of dollars, I was hoping to remain below $500 but willing to go higher if the difference is notable enough (hence inquiring about refurbished units).

I've printed a few things with a Cubepro Duo and the level of detail was fine for what I'm looking for, if that sets a better reference point. Unfortunately the Cubepro uses an awful cartridge system that seems designed to worm as much money out of the consumer as possible, rather than just using spools.

*edit*
    Specifically curious about this unit:
    https://printrbot.com/shop/assembled-printrbot-play/
    Last edited by stargatedalek; 04-28-2016 at 01:35 PM.

Hi,
    I really like Printrbot and their products. Since you live closer to the states than I you'll spend less in shipping.

However, your initial post said you wanted to print precision small models. Now, we all have different expectations but if you are -say- trying to print a games workshop miniature on a FDM printer ... you'll be disappointed. If you are trying to print backgrounds for those same minis, then you'll be fine with a FDM printer.

My advice at this stage would be to go to 3D Hubs and order a print of one of your models from 2 different machines : a FDM printer and a SLA printer. That way, you'll know when you purchase that you have made the right choice.

If you go FDM, then yes I support the Printrbot Play choice.

Not something nearly as detailed as a Games Workshop miniature, but in that size range. I collect and paint animal figurines so most of the detail would come from the paint and not from the sculpt itself.

That's a good idea about testing, I've had Shapeways prints done but never tried 3D Hubs, it looks promising. Kind of like Uber but for printing.

I've looked at some prints from the Printrbot Play and it definitely meets my criteria. Thanks for the help everyone.

Engineer-in-Training
    If a big build volume isn't necessary than a printrbot play for $399 might be a good choice.