Here's the short version of the problem I'm running into:

• Printer started partially extruding in the middle of a print, so I stopped it. Tried to unclog. No matter what I tried, it either pushed out filament in clumps that curl back up toward the nozzle or pushed out strands that are too thin.
  • Since I was having so much trouble and had a backup brand new extruder assembly on hand, I replaced the whole assembly. Drive gear wasn't rotating so I put the old drive gear back in.
  • Filament came out in a thin strand and then clogged again.
  • Seems like every time I get the nozzle clear and then try to load filament through, it clogs again. I'm trying to load it manually in a disassembled state (see pictures). I can't figure out what's going on.

Since I took things apart to the point where the drive gear is no longer in play and I still have the issue, I'm guessing it's not that. I have also tried different colors/brands of filament. Is there something else I'm missing? It doesn't make sense to me that it should be clogging repeatedly with two completely different extruders.

Attaching pictures so you can see that I have gotten the nozzle clear (you can see the light through it) and you can see the state it's in when it reclogs (so you can see what is/isn't affecting it).

March 25, 2016 at 0419PM.jpg March 25, 2016 at 0419PM (1).jpg