Close

Add jheikkila54 on Thingiverse

Beefier Makerfarm i3V 12"

Good Afternoon!

I have just completed a major overhaul on my Makerfarm i3V 12". A quick history, I have had for almost a year, I have added many mods/upgrades over the year including going from a single hex extruder to clough42's dual E3D v6, adding a milled aluminum bed, and other various upgrades. This time is different, however. I have replaced many wood parts, went back to a single extruder, and have designed all the parts myself rather then looking for mods online. Below I have posted pictures and explanation of the picture. I have not printed anything yet as it was late last night when I finished this, but I will post results. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

IMG_0813.jpg
    - This is an overview of the printer. As you can see I have replaced the front of the bed rail with a 20x40 aluminum extrusion and have created a new idler for this.
    - Replaced the back of the bed rail with a 20x40 extrusion as well, this was very much needed as the bed weighs a good amount more now. I also added a 20x40 extrusion between the two Z extrusions. This piece was the trickiest due to having to cut away the aluminum to allow for the bed to move properly, this added a LOT of strength to the Z axis's.
    -I added a 20x20 extrusion with corner brackets to the top of the Z axis.
    -Replaced the wooden bed frame with a custom aluminum one, nothing special just a square piece of aluminum with holes drilled out for wheels and heat bed mounting
    - Replaced glass with milled aluminum with a PEI top
    - Secured the entire printer in 6 locations to the work bench (which is also secured to the wall)
    - replaced the x-carriage with an aluminum gantry plate
    - replaced clough42's dual extruder to a bowden/direct setup (i rather not use gears and to use all metal, but didnt want to do a full bowden setup, so I came up with this)
    - replaced the x axis mounts to the z axis
    - replaced threaded rods with 8mm acme rods

IMG_0814.jpg
    Here is an upclose of the redesigned z axis motor mounts. I have to make some adjustments to these yet, but they work for now.

IMG_0815.jpg
    Here is a good view of the cuts made to the extrusions for the bed movement as well as other various upgrades. I used a meter-saw and dremel to cut out the pieces from the extrusions.

IMG_0816.jpg
    This is a good view of the extruder. Works great, still need to design the cooling fan tunnel/bracket

IMG_0819.jpg
    And this is the printer covered with my custom enclosure. I have not finished wiring it in yet, but does a great job and the LED lighting up top helps quite a bit.

If you want any other pictures or have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. I am excited to see what this thing can do.

Looks solid..

PS you may want to rotate it 90deg prior to printing.. LOL

Engineer
    Looks great. can you post the STL files for the Zmotor mounts

Technician
    Tons of great upgrades here. Thanks for sharing!

Engineer-in-Training TopJimmyCooks's Avatar
    What's the purpose of mounting a Bowden extruder on a moving carriage? Seems like you're getting the worst of both worlds there - the annoyances of Bowden without the accompanying light weight end effector.