Close

Technical specifications of 3d printed ABS

Dear forum users,

My question is about the strengt stats of 3d printed ABS, i'm interested in this for i'm desiging a string stopper for archery in SolidWorks. Ofcourse i want to run simulations on its estimated strengt so that the actual prototype won t break into pieces becouse of the shock and viberations.

I have tried google, but didn't find much tho. The things i did find was that ABS is suposed to withstand viberations really well, and that a 3d ABS printed object would have somewhere between 30 and 60% of the strength compared to the same object but then cast with ABS, these numbers where total speculation and didn't find any evedence to backup those numbers.

The force the stopper has to with stand is a 2 gram (= 1/3 of total string mass) string moving at a estimated maximum speed of 90 meters/second and stops in a estimated 3mm resulting in a force of about 3500 Newton if i didn't make any mistakes.

I hope you people can help me solve these things.
    Thanks in advance for any help given.

Kind regards,
    Frank MC

Follow papabur On Twitter Add papabur on Facebook Add papabur on Google+ Add papabur on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by frank12444 View Post
    Dear forum users,

My question is about the strengt stats of 3d printed ABS, i'm interested in this for i'm desiging a string stopper for archery in SolidWorks. Ofcourse i want to run simulations on its estimated strengt so that the actual prototype won t break into pieces becouse of the shock and viberations.

I have tried google, but didn't find much tho. The things i did find was that ABS is suposed to withstand viberations really well, and that a 3d ABS printed object would have somewhere between 30 and 60% of the strength compared to the same object but then cast with ABS, these numbers where total speculation and didn't find any evedence to backup those numbers.

The force the stopper has to with stand is a 2 gram (= 1/3 of total string mass) string moving at a estimated maximum speed of 90 meters/second and stops in a estimated 3mm resulting in a force of about 3500 Newton if i didn't make any mistakes.

I hope you people can help me solve these things.
    Thanks in advance for any help given.

Kind regards,
    Frank MC

There are a lot of factors to printed ABS....such things like infill are going to change the strength dramatically..its really hard to put a finger on a exact number without knowing how thick the parts going to be i suppose..but im not physics major

Quote Originally Posted by papabur View Post
    There are a lot of factors to printed ABS....such things like infill are going to change the strength dramatically..its really hard to put a finger on a exact number without knowing how thick the parts going to be i suppose..but im not physics major
    I do know that those things make the difference, but it would already help alot if i would know the best and worse case scenarios so i can anticipate a little on it and knowing what to expect.
    Thanks for the comment.

Well i done a pull test with a piece of 100 procent infill ABS,
    It was 10mm width and 5thick i believe.

It was around 250 newton to get it sepperated and 3.2mm stretched out.
    I forgot to look on how much it needed on its highest strength, But that was somewhat the number ive seen throughout the stretching process.

Done the same for PLA it was also around the 200 i believe, thats like a month ago so i aint fully sure ^^
    Also those sticks where made when my printer didnt extrude enough plastic, So probably it would have had more strength if i redid it, PLA stretched back then 2.9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by DrLuigi View Post
    Well i done a pull test with a piece of 100 procent infill ABS,
    It was 10mm width and 5thick i believe.

It was around 250 newton to get it sepperated and 3.2mm stretched out.
    I forgot to look on how much it needed on its highest strength, But that was somewhat the number ive seen throughout the stretching process.

Done the same for PLA it was also around the 200 i believe, thats like a month ago so i aint fully sure ^^
    Also those sticks where made when my printer didnt extrude enough plastic, So probably it would have had more strength if i redid it, PLA stretched back then 2.9mm.
    Thanks for these number!
    Now do you remember how long the pieces where before stretching, that would help even more go get a general idee compared to molded ABS.