Close

Broken left hand

As one of my first prints I have tried this design http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:826836
    The print quality looks awesome, however the left hand is screwy.

IMG_1123.jpg

I don't understand what would be making one part mess up, while the rest looks fine.
    I went through changing settings that I thought maybe wrong, along with adding support material options. I also changed from PLA to ABS just as a test.
    The print messed up again in exactly the same place.

I have no idea where to start with the settings, or what info to provide in this post to make it easier to see what is going wrong.
    Does anyone have any suggestions at what I could look at?

My machine is a Cocoon Create ( rebranded Wanhao i3 ).

Senior Engineer
    If you think about the way it prints from the bottom up and consider what happens when it gets to the left hand as it climbs you will realise that suddenly out of nowhere extruded plastic is expected to defy gravity and stay in mid air until it connects at the shoulder to the rest of the print.

The solution is to add support that you will cut off after it has printed so the hand is supported during the print. Give him a walking stick type structure that is touching the bottom and the hand.

How would it have worked for the others that have done that design?
    I set support type to "Touching build plate" in Cura and it did print a support under the hand. But the hand still ended up wrong.

Senior Engineer
    Anyone who has done a successful print of that in that orientation will have used support for that hand.

I tired a different model with supports under each arm.
    Cura showed that it would put supports under the required parts. However it seems to have just unraveled.

IMG_1124.jpg

You can see it printed the supports under each arm, but from there it all went wrong.

Is there anything in my settings that would help with my printing? Or am I printing too small? Or just not doing the supports right?

Screen Shot 2016-02-21 at 4.10.49 PM.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

10% infill density for support is probably too low. I think I remember my S3D support settings are 30% infill, 70% for upper layer.