Close

Threaded View

Engineer-in-Training

New to 3D Printing, Need advice

Greeting all,

New to these forums, and to 3d printing.
    First a tiny bit of background. Im 36, retired/disabled military, and stay at home dad of 2. As you can imagine this affords me lots of free-time for hobbies. For the past 6 years or so i have been teaching myself how to use rendering software (mainly Blender and 3dMax, but have messed around with Sketch-up a bit too). It originally started out of a desire to mod videogames. But, as hobbies do it kinda branched out from there. Another of my hobbies (and one shared by many of my friends) is RC stuff...ANYTHING RC I enjoy, cars, boats, drones...love it all.

Ok, sorry to bore ya with that, time for the meat of it!
    Just got tax return and I really want to get into 3D printing, but I am 100% clueless as to what type of printer I should get.
    I know Id like a decent sized working area. 6in x 6in x 6in Im thinking would be the minimum, bigger of course would be better. I need something with decent deffinition as I plan to do some detailed stuff. I also need one that takes a wide range of materials, some basic plastics but also HIPs and APS (or anything considered high-impact/break resistant).

Here are some of my ideas that Id like to print:
    Linkage and other such parts for RC vehicles (these I would like to sell, both online and in a couple local shops).
    Art-deco style nik-nacks. (these I may sell, but more for fun...got a Dalek I spent over 40hrs modeling Id LOVE to print).
    I want to do themed chess sets.

My budget is around $1000 USD for my first printer. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

edit:
    Should note that I live in Texas, so would need a retailer thats either in the US or ships here =)
    Last edited by Syd_Khaos; 02-12-2016 at 10:53 AM.