Close

Freaks 3D Printer Balling Up and Not Sticking

I've recently bought a ElecFreaks 3D Printer but there were a few major problems.
    1. The filament defies the laws of gravity and floats up to ball on top of the nozzle
    2. Even if it doesn't ball up it doesn't stick to the base. I use the special masking tape and board. I also adjusted the base height for around 2 hours with trial and error
    I don't see ANY forum posts or internet posts about this printer, only people just staring into the future of 3D Printers. Theres a 10/90 chance that the machine will work, and only when i scrape it off at the right time.
    PLEASE help me with this, as many other people are probably having the same problem as I am.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    AH yes the world's first portable printer.
    Given that I have never seen a non-portable printer, you've got to wonder about the company's adherence to the facts.

Can't help with that specific printer - but you might want to try coating the tape with a couple layers of gluestick. I use cheap pound/buck store glue sticks.

My biggest problem is getting models off the printbed.

Haven't found anything that doesn't stick to it yet.

Also when calibrating - use a piece of 90gms paper or card. And adjust so it's a tightish fit between the nozzle and the bed.
    And make sure you calibrate with both bed and nozzle at the temperatures you intend to print at.

That's all standard for most printers that don't have auto calibration.
    If you still have problems after that - contact the makers:
    Although they're in china - so good luck with that :-)
    ElecFreaks Technology Ltd.

Address:Room 509, Zhonglu Science & technology BuilldingNo. 103, Yousong RoadLonghua New DistrictShenzhenChina
    Post Code: 518000
    Tel: +86-(0)755-29048789
    Email: services@elecfreaks.com
    wholesale@elecfreaks.com

Help will be on the way, eventually...

Quote Originally Posted by Parzival View Post
    I've recently bought a ElecFreaks 3D Printer but there were a few major problems.
    1. The filament defies the laws of gravity and floats up to ball on top of the nozzle
    2. Even if it doesn't ball up it doesn't stick to the base. I use the special masking tape and board. I also adjusted the base height for around 2 hours with trial and error
    I don't see ANY forum posts or internet posts about this printer, only people just staring into the future of 3D Printers. Theres a 10/90 chance that the machine will work, and only when i scrape it off at the right time.
    PLEASE help me with this, as many other people are probably having the same problem as I am.
    It looks like my kit will be delivered this Friday so I'll try to throw it all together over the weekend and see if I get the same issues as you. This is not my first printer so hopefully I can get you up and running. PM me for further questions next week if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    AH yes the world's first portable printer.
    Given that I have never seen a non-portable printer, you've got to wonder about the company's adherence to the facts.

Can't help with that specific printer - but you might want to try coating the tape with a couple layers of gluestick. I use cheap pound/buck store glue sticks.

My biggest problem is getting models off the printbed.

Haven't found anything that doesn't stick to it yet.

Also when calibrating - use a piece of 90gms paper or card. And adjust so it's a tightish fit between the nozzle and the bed.
    And make sure you calibrate with both bed and nozzle at the temperatures you intend to print at.

That's all standard for most printers that don't have auto calibration.
    If you still have problems after that - contact the makers:
    Although they're in china - so good luck with that :-)
    ElecFreaks Technology Ltd.

Address:Room 509, Zhonglu Science & technology BuilldingNo. 103, Yousong RoadLonghua New DistrictShenzhenChina
    Post Code: 518000
    Tel: +86-(0)755-29048789
    Email: services@elecfreaks.com
    wholesale@elecfreaks.com
    Thanks for responding, next time i'll try to use gluesticks.

Quote Originally Posted by STRYKR View Post
    It looks like my kit will be delivered this Friday so I'll try to throw it all together over the weekend and see if I get the same issues as you. This is not my first printer so hopefully I can get you up and running. PM me for further questions next week if you want.
    Thanks! I'm ready for you!

Sorry for the delay Parzival. Unfortunately I have been having terrible luck getting my Freaks3D to print anything as well. One of the key issues is the extruder design. The extruder gear is too far from the hot end and cause jamming in the nozzle if the bed is too high and will clog. In my case, I had to take the tubing out of the extruder to clear the jam, but then I was unable to replace the tube correctly due to it melting upon removal.

I hope that you are having better luck than I with your machine. Some notes to keep in mind to ensure quality printing, especially on a Freaks3D is to not use the tape they sent. Your best bet is to buy blue painters tape (3M works best for me). If that alone does not work, apply a thin layer of glue with a glue stick like curious aardvark said, or try applying a mist of hair spray to the tape. Unfortunately with the design of this printer, you should realistically adjust the bed level before each print until you can ensure consistency. Another problem you could run into would be poor printing material. The test spool they sent with the printer is likely junk plastic with regrind and cannot be trusted to ensure printing at all. Do some research to find a quality filament supplier near you that has good reviews by many customers so you know that the material you are buying is pure and has a reliable printing temperature range that you can adjust the printer to. Finally, you may want to upgrade the bed itself with a sheet of glass that you should be able to purchase either online or at a hardware store for a low price. Glass is less prone to warping than the cheap plastic they provided for this printer.

Sadly, I was really looking forward to this particular printer but I have decided it's not worth the trouble for me to fix. I am in the process of converting it into a CNC laser cutter with an L-Cheapo laser. I can provide the plans once I modify mine if you'd like.

Best of luck to you!

I also have a 3dFreaks printer, and...

Quote Originally Posted by STRYKR View Post
    Sorry for the delay Parzival. Unfortunately I have been having terrible luck getting my Freaks3D to print anything as well. One of the key issues is the extruder design. The extruder gear is too far from the hot end and cause jamming in the nozzle if the bed is too high and will clog. In my case, I had to take the tubing out of the extruder to clear the jam, but then I was unable to replace the tube correctly due to it melting upon removal.

I hope that you are having better luck than I with your machine. Some notes to keep in mind to ensure quality printing, especially on a Freaks3D is to not use the tape they sent. Your best bet is to buy blue painters tape (3M works best for me). If that alone does not work, apply a thin layer of glue with a glue stick like curious aardvark said, or try applying a mist of hair spray to the tape. Unfortunately with the design of this printer, you should realistically adjust the bed level before each print until you can ensure consistency. Another problem you could run into would be poor printing material. The test spool they sent with the printer is likely junk plastic with regrind and cannot be trusted to ensure printing at all. Do some research to find a quality filament supplier near you that has good reviews by many customers so you know that the material you are buying is pure and has a reliable printing temperature range that you can adjust the printer to. Finally, you may want to upgrade the bed itself with a sheet of glass that you should be able to purchase either online or at a hardware store for a low price. Glass is less prone to warping than the cheap plastic they provided for this printer.

Sadly, I was really looking forward to this particular printer but I have decided it's not worth the trouble for me to fix. I am in the process of converting it into a CNC laser cutter with an L-Cheapo laser. I can provide the plans once I modify mine if you'd like.

Best of luck to you!
    ...I'm underwhelmed by the print results. Let us know how the CNC converter goes -- thanks!