Close

CubePro Supports

I'm having so much trouble with the CubePro. Since purchasing it last spring I've had issues using online based 3D Systems rendering options to be compatible with this machine. I was told it was due to the larger than normal nozzle diameter. I work in a school, and specifically chose this machine to support printing designs for a large number of students, since it boasts a high speed print. This is in fact great about it.

Unfortunately I can't even get the supports to actually print consistently. In some areas it will render supports that work as they should, but usually it simply builds a small pillar that can't support more than a 2mm squared area. I've adjusted nearly every setting available before slicing with no changes to specific areas that should clearly have supports.

Another concern is that I can't get it to fill some areas of certain designs. I think that if I choose the highest quality print and choose the smallest mm fill size there shouldn't be any holes in my final print, especially if other areas render properly within the same file.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how I can figure out what seem to be slicer flaws for the CubePro?

Please help!

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by ragod222 View Post
    I'm having so much trouble with the CubePro. Since purchasing it last spring I've had issues using online based 3D Systems rendering options to be compatible with this machine. I was told it was due to the larger than normal nozzle diameter. I work in a school, and specifically chose this machine to support printing designs for a large number of students, since it boasts a high speed print. This is in fact great about it.

Unfortunately I can't even get the supports to actually print consistently. In some areas it will render supports that work as they should, but usually it simply builds a small pillar that can't support more than a 2mm squared area. I've adjusted nearly every setting available before slicing with no changes to specific areas that should clearly have supports.

Another concern is that I can't get it to fill some areas of certain designs. I think that if I choose the highest quality print and choose the smallest mm fill size there shouldn't be any holes in my final print, especially if other areas render properly within the same file.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how I can figure out what seem to be slicer flaws for the CubePro?

Please help!
    The software just flat out doesn't work. There have been several versions that have gotten better but anything that requires anything but the simplest of supports will be useless. I have fought with this thing for 2 years and have had lackluster success at best. My little FF dreamer that I have at home outperforms it in every way. I really wish someone would bring a class action suite against them for failing to deliver on claims that the thing actually works.

Engineer-in-Training iDig3Dprinting's Avatar
    Follow iDig3Dprinting On Twitter Add iDig3Dprinting on Facebook Add iDig3Dprinting on Google+ Add iDig3Dprinting on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by ragod222 View Post

Please help!
    3D systems have been improving their support functionality over time. The other option is to try out using their infinity support (PVA) filament. you will need a CubePro Duo or Triple head 3D printer though for this to work.

We assume that the "jet" calibration procedure has been followed and that you are using perimeter supports setting?

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by iDig3Dprinting View Post
    3D systems have been improving their support functionality over time. The other option is to try out using their infinity support (PVA) filament. you will need a CubePro Duo or Triple head 3D printer though for this to work.

We assume that the "jet" calibration procedure has been followed and that you are using perimeter supports setting?
    The printer is calibrated and all support settings have been tried over and over. Their supports are almost impossible to remove. The unit is complete junk for anything other than basic shapes that require little to no supports. If you put it head to head with most of the open source product on the market there is no comparison.

Engineer-in-Training iDig3Dprinting's Avatar
    Follow iDig3Dprinting On Twitter Add iDig3Dprinting on Facebook Add iDig3Dprinting on Google+ Add iDig3Dprinting on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd-67 View Post
    The printer is calibrated and all support settings have been tried over and over. Their supports are almost impossible to remove. The unit is complete junk for anything other than basic shapes that require little to no supports. If you put it head to head with most of the open source product on the market there is no comparison.
    Sorry to hear that it does not work for you. We can only suggest the infinity support filament as a possible solution, or sell it and buy a different printer. What do you print?

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by iDig3Dprinting View Post
    Sorry to hear that it does not work for you. We can only suggest the infinity support filament as a possible solution, or sell it and buy a different printer. What do you print?
    Selling it is where we have finally gotten to. We print a variety of things from shelled out housings for electronics that people interface with to structural and decorative pieces. We also print check go/no-go fixtures for vac form and other parts. It's a wide gamut of parts but almost everything we do is for functional prototyping.