Close

Threaded View

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar

Using 123d catch with an android tablet

So I decided I'd get a cheap used tablet to mess around with a bunch of things from learning spanish to using the 123d catch app.
    Ended up with a hudl2 - very nice bit of kit and only £43. Thing looks brand new.

So I had a very quick play with 123d catch last night. Literally 2 minutes taking 8 (the minimum number) pictures of the dog.
    It automatically uploads the pics and renders them into a 3d scene.

That worked really well.
    So far so good.

The worst thing about this app is actualy finding what you've done - after you've done it.

All it actualy wants you to do is look at things other people have done.
    I know I made a dog last night and I'm pretty sure it was saved. But buggered if I can find it today.
    Ah ha found it - under Private Captures.

Now all I have to do is figure out how to get it onto a computer.

Not the most intuitive software I've ever used - but bloody impressive so far :-)

The saga will continue :-)

(5 minutes later)
    ah ha - you email a link to yourself.

Okay currently downloading an .stl

Well it loads into simplify3d - no it wouldn't print needs a lot of editing and filling in.
    But you can tell what it is :-)

Given that he actually moved during the photo shoot.
    You are looking at adog in front of a sofa with a jacket on the sofa.
    Now if I can import the full colour version into the 123d catch on the computer I can capture afull colour image.

tada ! (lol)

Definitely much much easier doing this with the tablet than with a camera and computer.
    Next: I'll put a small model on a tripod and try and make an actual printable model.

The next stage is taken the raw point cloud and working it to the point it's an actual manifold printable model.
    But if you just want a decent 3d 'image' of something - it is as simple as taking pics and letting autodesk render it.

Watch this space :-)
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 02-04-2016 at 07:28 AM.