Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I'm buying a new 3D printer and have a few questions

So I'm buying a new 3D printer for a at home business and I am not sure what one is the best for my needs. I need it to print from both ABS and PLA, and wouldn't mind if it could also do good prints from a rubber like material although I know that's probably not happening because the only rubber one I found was the Hyrel E1-5 and their print areas are 8"x8"x8" which is to small. It needs a large print area, min 10"x10"x8" preferably bigger. It's prints need to be consistently high quality and decently quick because I'd be printing products for clients on demand. Now for the hardest part with those requirements. I've got $2k budgeted out for it. I can save a little more if I have to but I can't go much more. Once the business starts taking off I'd be able to buy a bigger better one but at least at first my budget needs to stay close to $2k. Thanks for any and all help anyone gives!

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    3D_guy,

I don't understand - you're going to make on-demand prints of a rubbery material that are 10x10x8"? It sounds like you'll need beds in your waiting room.

Davo,

No, I'll do plastic, I'd like to do rubber too if there is some cheap printer that can print rubber that I haven't heard of yet, but if not plastic is most important. They'll order and I'll ship to them, so no waiting room, but time is money and I want to be able to print decent quality as fast as possible. I understand it will still take hours, but there are some that print faster than others.
    Last edited by 3D_guy; 02-26-2014 at 03:35 PM.

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Oh, sure. I guess I misunderstood "on-demand" in this context.

Will PlastInk Rubber or Ninjaflex meet your needs of rubbery? Those are easy to print with, just a little soft.

I guess "on demand" was probably a bad word choice.

I hadn't heard of either Ninjaflex or PlastInk Rubber, after a quick Google search they both seem potentially promising. Can you print them from a regular ABS or PLA printer, and when you say "a little soft" what does that all entail? (Is it going to rip easy.) Thanks for the replies, This information is really helpful.

We have printed in both Ninjaflex and PlastInk Rubber on the Hyrel models. I can't speak for other printers.

These materials are, by nature, very flexible. The further the filament has to travel without tight guidance, the greater the potential for an undesired change in direction (causing a jam) - compared to firmer, stiffer materials like ABS. For some designs this can be a problem; for others, no worries at all. It all hinges on how much the design depends on the material maintaining course on its own, or not flexing.
    Last edited by Davo; 02-27-2014 at 08:08 AM.

The designs would require the material to maintain its course on its own a bit, the walls on many of the designs would be 1/16 of an inch thick, would you know if that's to thin to print with either of those materials? Also is there any upgrades to the Hyrel models to increase their print areas?

Nonono, the design of the print head, not what you are printing.

Quote Originally Posted by 3D_guy View Post
    The designs would require the material to maintain its course on its own a bit, the walls on many of the designs would be 1/16 of an inch thick, would you know if that's to thin to print with either of those materials? Also is there any upgrades to the Hyrel models to increase their print areas?
    We have no new models or larger print areas to announce at present.

Oh, ok, that makes since, how much are the print heads for either or both of those materials?

Follow ralphzoontjens On Twitter Add ralphzoontjens on Facebook Add ralphzoontjens on Shapeways Add ralphzoontjens on Thingiverse
    I heard that you can print flexible polyester, 45D, on the Ultimaker printers. Order here: http://www.plastic2print.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast