Close

Is Painting / Staining recommended or necessary?

I have read several posts elsewhere regarding the need to paint or stain the frame to prevent warping of the frame. Is this a real issue or is this just preventative overkill? Just curious I have had a 10" makerfarm in the box for about 5 months now waiting to find some good weather to paint the frame. The weather and my time off havent gotten on the same page yet. Now it is cold and I dont have a good place to paint the frame that would be indoors. So I am wondering if painting the frame would even matter. I am eager to start putting this thing together but want to do it right the first time. The machine would spend its time indoors in the luxury of an HVAC so I dont think that humidity fluctuations would be a real issue.

If I do decide to paint it would a simple few coats of clear rattle can rustoleum work or does it have to be a stain/sealer?

Thanks for any help.
    eager to get started
    Nick

Technologist
    Add usarmyaircav on Google+ Add usarmyaircav on Thingiverse
    I have a 10" that I did NOT paint/stain. I haven't noticed any warping. Also Colin at Maker farm says that paint/stain removes the warranty on the frame.

Technician
    I stained my 12" for the sole purpose of aesthetics.. And it spends its time in my unheated garage. I haven't noticed any warping, but I can tell you that after staining the parts fit together VERY snugly, and required sanding in many cases just to fit together. I wouldn't worry about application if yours is going to stay indoors and you don't care so much about appearance (mine was stained primarily to appease the wife

Thank you for the quick responses. I have opted to not paint it as I dont want to void the warranty and I dont have that much time to do it. I would have liked to for the asthetically pleasing aspect. But I dont mind the unfinished wood look.

I lacquered all three of mine because I didn't like the burned smell from the laser cut edges. I have struggled with the bed height changing during the first 45 minutes of the warmup on the oldest printer (an i3) but I haven't had any issues with the i3v models, either the 8" or the 12".

Colin has stated to me that painting the bed mount can cause warping. I don't have an unpainted part to verify if this is true.