Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Follow ServiceXp On Twitter Add ServiceXp on Google+ Add ServiceXp on Thingiverse
    Looks like an interesting product. I wounder how long the build plates last. The kit is 115.00 bucks, and doesn't look like there are any real long term reviews on the product.

Technician
    Add Nargg on Thingiverse
    I've been using it for a few weeks now. Very pleased with the results. I was too worried about longevity and bought two plates. The first plate has yet to look used after about 3 dozen prints. Only problem I've seen is if the print curls slightly during print and causes some print head striking on the object being printed (happens from time to time on prints with long overhangs, usually works itself out or doesn't matter much) then the plate can be pushed sideways, basically ruining the print. I'm going to install some side rails to hold the plate square on the magnetic bed, similar to what I had before for a glass bed. That way the plate is not so easily pushed if the print gets a little wonky while it's in process. Another great thing I've noticed is that my bed heat is much more accurate and useful with this setup than with the glass bed I used before. I'm using a 50 to 70 degree bed for PLA very successfully, in that it keeps the project flat on the bed perfectly. Yet it's so simple to remove the object from the bed. This little product has revitalized my 3D printing, as before I'd almost given up.

I know, they should pay me for product promotion

Follow ServiceXp On Twitter Add ServiceXp on Google+ Add ServiceXp on Thingiverse
    Thanks for the follow up. When I looked at the product and the 1 or 2 reviews on it, I thought those magnets might not be strong enough. Personally, for the amount of money they want for this product, this should not be an issue. I understand there has to be a balance in the strength of the magnet used, but it's look way to easy to remove the plate from the bed, and could use some stronger magnets.

What do you think? Should you have to stabilize the build plate with rails?

While it would be nice not using hairspray every 6 or 8 prints on my glass, I never have curls or warps, and I use ABS almost exclusively.

Technician
    Add Nargg on Thingiverse
    I think the magnets are strong enough. Sideways torsion is almost impossible to stop with magnets, especially setup like this. And, I have no problems adding rails to stabilize, since I had to do that with glass anyway. I do hope they improve in the future with a V2 of the product though. I've though that either adding a stabilization peg to the upper plate to insert into a hole in the lower magnetic plate, or cut the magnet plate so that it has an edge to hold the plate around the sides with a slightly smaller plate inserted into it would be a great move forward for them. But for now, the 1st generation product is worth the price I paid, in my opinion. The product I received did have one additional feature they didn't originally show in their plans, and that was a thumb hole at the front of the lower plate to make lifting the top plate off the magnets easier. So they do seem to be open to changes as they go.

??? Why buy that ? when you can buy a Glass plate for $3. at Lowes-hardware,
    that will be Better !
    Don't need Magnets, just a little Aqua-net spray, to hold glass in place.

Glass is only 3/32" thick,
    magnets and any metal plate will be thicker.

Heat transfer is much better with glass.
    Last edited by EagleSeven; 01-08-2016 at 09:07 AM.

Technician
    Add Nargg on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleSeven View Post
    ??? Why buy that ? when you can buy a Glass plate for $3. at Lowes-hardware,
    that will be Better !
    Don't need Magnets, just a little Aqua-net spray, to hold glass in place.

Glass is only 3/32" thick,
    magnets and any metal plate will be thicker.

Heat transfer is much better with glass.
    I've printed up to now with glass. It's not better, at any price. And no, heat transfer is not better with glass. If it were you'd not want to have windows on your house, and the Summer time would be terrible. And no, there is no spacing problem. In fact I removed the "spacer" I had to install with glass. The replacement bed plus plate are the exact same height as the original equipment bed with nothing on top. This is a 100% bed replacement, not an add too. Plus think of all the $$ I'll save not needing to buy hair spray or glue sticks any more?

I understand your view, but I thought I'd try something new. I found it to be fantastic. Not perfect, but heck if I can take an object off the bed in seconds now where it used to take longer. And sometimes damaging the object getting off the glass bed too. I think this product is a must have. I'd love to see the "Creator Pro 3" or "Dreamer 2" have this as it's bed from the factory. It's that good.
    Last edited by Nargg; 01-08-2016 at 10:42 AM.

Ordered one of these too. Fed up with ripping my fingers to bits trying to get prints off the bed with a putty knife. They just stick far to well.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Nargg View Post
    I just installed this setup in my FF Dreamer: http://www.geckotek3d.com/ No sticking problems at all now Plus I get a properly heated bed now that I'm not using glass.
    It's ok for PLA, rubbish for ABS sadly, it really doesn't like a high heat bed.

I really just use the aluminum bed, kapton over that and blue tape over the kapton - not sure how PLA can't stick for you on blue tape...

ABS on kapton with a glue stick, or PLA on blue tape, glue stick...

I think I go through about 3-4 Bostick glue sticks a week, they are my life savers.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

It can stick. Far too well and that is the issue. Both ABS and PLA are impossible to remove using the new blue beds that come with the Dreamer.

Technician
    Add Nargg on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    It's ok for PLA, rubbish for ABS sadly, it really doesn't like a high heat bed.

I really just use the aluminum bed, kapton over that and blue tape over the kapton - not sure how PLA can't stick for you on blue tape...

ABS on kapton with a glue stick, or PLA on blue tape, glue stick...

I think I go through about 3-4 Bostick glue sticks a week, they are my life savers.
    Funny, I've had really bad luck with ABS before using this bed. This bed was one of the first that allowed me to do ABS right. The bed heated just fine, of course I used the "HT" version of the bed which is made for high heat needed for ABS.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast