Close

Is 3D Printing The Path to Economic Development in Africa?

Africa's manufacturing sector has been lagging, thanks in part to the increase in digital manufacturing technology, which reduces the need for jobs to be outsourced. One clear solution is for Africa to get serious about pursuing 3D printing. Read more at 3DPrint.com: http://3dprint.com/105122/africa-economic-development/

What a load of utter garbage.

I’ve noticed a common refrain in today’s news cycle: in order to remain viable in the global economy, countries need to get behind 3D printing, and fast."
    Yeah, this will help countries where employment is needed on a massive scale. Any the resources are there: minerals, water, sunlight, forestry, etc. none of these are being utilized correctly. And 3D printing requires a computer, a printer, consumables and experience/know-how. None of these are in abundance. Not to mention that if everyone were start 3D printing there'd be no demand.

3D printing won't solve anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian Finke View Post
    Yeah, this will help countries where employment is needed on a massive scale.
    This, for those that missed it is sarcasm. It bugs me when people write articles about topics completely above their heads.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    what's really needed is re-education to bring the farmers back.
    I guess you could build a really big machine to print farming equipment - but yep, not sure how anything else would help africa.

I suppose the west could give them solar powered printers instead of money. That way they'd probably actually get to people who might need them - unlike the money that just gets appropriated by the relevant politicians.