Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pagoda box

Technician

Pagoda box

Hi,
    I keep having the same problem when printing, if you see the image below:
    it begins with the first layer, one edge just folds up and the box becomes like a pagoda as it keeps going,
    I have levelled and relevelled, but cannot fix it, any thoughts?
    20151003_221435.jpg

Did you try printing the test object at a different location on the bed-plate ?
    (Move it one side of bed-plate, not in center, using slicer software 'move' )
    Maybe that will let you know if it is a mechanical or software problem.

Technician
    If it is PLA, the layers aren't cooling enough before the next later heats it up again. If you add another copy of the box some distance away it should help. Also more air blowing on the part.

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by warkmal View Post
    If it is PLA, the layers aren't cooling enough before the next later heats it up again. If you add another copy of the box some distance away it should help. Also more air blowing on the part.
    no I'm using abs
    cheers

Technician
    Yeah, I guess it's obvious from the pic if you zoom in. It's warping and peeling off the bed. ABS wants to be troublesome like that because it was designed to shrink a bit when it cools. Helps it come out of the injection molds. To fight our battle we need to keep abs warm. Heat bed, enclosed and then some help like a brim from the slicer. Could also be that you're still nit close enough when leveling the build plate (matter of a few hundredths of a mm)

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    what printer - and print speed.

With abs you need to get the first layer down really really slowly to give maximum adhesion to the bed.

Before I saw the light and stopped using abs - I only ever got succesful abs prints by using a raft.

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by warkmal View Post
    Yeah, I guess it's obvious from the pic if you zoom in. It's warping and peeling off the bed. ABS wants to be troublesome like that because it was designed to shrink a bit when it cools. Helps it come out of the injection molds. To fight our battle we need to keep abs warm. Heat bed, enclosed and then some help like a brim from the slicer. Could also be that you're still nit close enough when leveling the build plate (matter of a few hundredths of a mm)
    Hi Warkmal,
    I know that you are right, its just hard to fix it ha-ha! I think the build plate is the big issue

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    what printer - and print speed.

With abs you need to get the first layer down really really slowly to give maximum adhesion to the bed.

Before I saw the light and stopped using abs - I only ever got succesful abs prints by using a raft.
    I am using creator pro, with ABS
    these are the sttings in Rep G
    infill 15%
    layer height 0.2
    number of shells 2
    feedrate 50
    travel feedrate 60
    print temp 225
    bed temp 110
    raft/support on
    use print o matic
    filament 1.75
    nozzle 0.4
    thats about it

?? You said Raft was On, but No Raft in picture ?

Again, Did you try printing the same object somewhere else , Not in center of bed ??

Do you have any other Slicer software you can try, Not Rep-G ?
    So you can have More control.
    Last edited by EagleSeven; 10-04-2015 at 08:42 AM.

Technician
    Some slicers let you do the first layer even shower. For ABS, I do 20mm/sec for the first layer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast