Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

(solved)My printer won't pull filament all the way through.

hello everyone.

So as the title says my printer(a chinese copy of the makerbot rep 1) doesnt pull the filament all the way through the extruder.
    i recorded a video of it:

i really hope someone can help, as i need a few printed parts done within about 5 hours.

thanks
    Last edited by rallekralle11; 10-06-2015 at 08:11 AM.

Engineer-in-Training
    You have a jam (most likely) or the nozzle is too cold.

In former case, unscrew the fan (careful for the spacer bits that will drop out) and remove the blockage, then reinstall the fan. Filament loading should be OK again.

alright, i'll try that ASAP

okay, i removed the fan and motor.
    but it looks like the clog is inside what seems to be a solid aluminum piece, so now what..?
    Last edited by rallekralle11; 10-05-2015 at 10:49 AM.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    heat the extruder up more when loading.
    So if you usually load at 200 - up the temp to 220. Or if you load at 22 - up it to 240 etc.

Cut the filament on a slant as well and you can usually push it through and expel any blockage.

Often a few push loads and removals will do the job. Don't try and pull the filament out when the machine is in aloadin cycle though. make sure you change it to unload from the control panel. Otherwise you'll just make things worse.

Engineer-in-Training
    You might also have a thoroughly clogged nozzle that won't be cleared by the 'pulling' technique.

First method is to heat the nozzle to about 220 C and then use a piece of steel guitar wire to push up the nozzle and try to clear the blockage. This may help, but usually only temporary as the parts are still floating around in the hotend and may reach the nozzle again.

A more thorough approach is to heat the nozzle up to 220 or so, and then unscrew the nozzle with a pair of pliers for cleaning (or replacement if cleaning requires hard measures). With the nozzle unscrewed (and the element still hot) you can then also push the filament through from the top to clear the pathway, and then retract it again a bit before screwing the cleaned or new nozzle back in.

If the nozzle is really tight, use a second pair of pliers to relieve the stress on the heating block when unscrewing (and don't damage the thermistor/resistor/wires of course).

Engineer-in-Training
    If you need a print ASAP use the second extruder, then after that clean out then nozzle.

i managed to fix it!
    thanks a lot guys.

Senior Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by rallekralle11 View Post
    i managed to fix it!
    thanks a lot guys.
    You should post what you did so that the next person with the same problem doesn't have to ask.

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    You should post what you did so that the next person with the same problem doesn't have to ask.
    Ayup. 67890

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast