Close

Top of prints not solid

I own the powerspec 3d pro, basically the flashforge creator, and not matter what I print, the last few top layer and basically missing. I use slic3r as my slicer and no matter what settings I use, the same thing happens. The bottom and side of everything come out perfect but the top. For the picture, I used a 100 micron resolution, with a 15% infill and the sides, top and bottom with 2 solid layers.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here is another print with the same problem

Attached Images Attached Images

Engineer
    how many top layers are going on? 15% is pretty low. it could take quite a few top layers to bridge that and get it clean. what is the condition of the infill before the top layers go down? is it printing good, solid and perfectly stacked?

Quote Originally Posted by jimc View Post
    how many top layers are going on? 15% is pretty low. it could take quite a few top layers to bridge that and get it clean. what is the condition of the infill before the top layers go down? is it printing good, solid and perfectly stacked?
    2 layers but even at 25% infill I still have the same problem. From what I can tell when I do watch it the infill condition is great. If it is my infill, is there a way is slic3r to allow a more dense infill near the top before the top, solid layer? Or any slicer that can do that?

Engineer
    Just 2 layers over 15-25% infill isnt enough. You have to remember that the layer is going to droop a little over low infill and the more it droops the more round and less wide the strands are going to be. In the flat box you see they are not touching. Try 4 top layers. On the pig where the holes are, those top layers are actually perimeters and they are stepping over so far that its leaving holes. anywhere that happens slicer should fill that hole with your top layer but it probably has no support to hold it up in such a small area. Increase your perimeter # or infill%.

Add GOC on Google+ Add GOC on Thingiverse
    - Another user had very similar issues, please see THIS THREAD for details on the resolution.

That's a lot of travel over not much support. I own the same Powerspec. I use S3D. 15% and 2 layers would get me what you got. 30% and 2 layers and all is good. Hollow and 4 layers and all is good. YMMV...

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jimc View Post
    Just 2 layers over 15-25% infill isnt enough. You have to remember that the layer is going to droop a little over low infill and the more it droops the more round and less wide the strands are going to be. In the flat box you see they are not touching. Try 4 top layers. On the pig where the holes are, those top layers are actually perimeters and they are stepping over so far that its leaving holes. anywhere that happens slicer should fill that hole with your top layer but it probably has no support to hold it up in such a small area. Increase your perimeter # or infill%.
    I Could probably print that model hollow with 2 layers and get a better top layer than that.
    But I'd never print it at 0.1mm
    0.2 is pretty much my high resolution print.
    0.1 is just too thin.

And whatever the lowest infill I can get away with is. For a model with a lot of bridging I might go as high as 15% but normally it's between 5-10%

Anything more than 15 is purely for structural strength. And 15 is rare.

Engineer
    Remember also, if you are printing at 0.1 resolution, you will need even more "Top solid layers" because it's laying down a thinner layer of plastic.

A 0.1 resolution would need 4 top solid layer's to even match a 0.2 resolution with 2 top solid layers

I would just try with adding more Top solid layer's.

I was having the same problem and decided to scrap PLA. Once I went to ABS I didn't have the holes on the top. Also had the problem with older filament. Once it soaks up a little moisture it may bubble as you print.

Threw away my old filament, bought new ABS and problem is solved.