Close

Embedding metal parts into plastic 3D print

Is it possible to embed metal parts into a 3d print? I would like to embed an aluminium profile (like this one) into my 3D design. Does someone have any experience with that?

The metal has much higher melting point than ABS so in theory that should work. The idea is to print it whole in 2 steps - first put the metal on the printing desk before starting to print, then start to print and "pot" the plastic over it to complete the underside of the design, then turn the object upside down and "pot" it from the top to that the metal part gets embedded into the plastic...
    Last edited by Kozuch; 10-08-2015 at 07:46 AM.

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Yes, easily doable. There are two main approaches:

1. Model bottom and top separately; print bottom, place metal, print top. Bottom must come up even with the highest metal face.

2. Model a shape with a cavity for the metal and code in a pause to insert the metal.

We haven't done it with such a large item, but we have modeled recesses to embed nuts for later capturing bolts.

Quote Originally Posted by Davo View Post
    ... we have modeled recesses to embed nuts for later capturing bolts.
    I do this when I have to print electronics cases. These often have little embedded nuts (usually M3) that hold circuit boards, etc or larger nuts for mounting the case onto whatever. I design the part with hole in the lugs only I make the holes slightly smaller than the nuts to be embedded. Then I heat the nut with a hot air gun and press it in so the plastic can melt around it.

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian Finke View Post
    I do this when I have to print electronics cases. These often have little embedded nuts (usually M3) that hold circuit boards, etc or larger nuts for mounting the case onto whatever. I design the part with hole in the lugs only I make the holes slightly smaller than the nuts to be embedded. Then I heat the nut with a hot air gun and press it in so the plastic can melt around it.
    Exactly. But I use a soldering iron on the nut itself.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    the 3dp unlimited guys were doing this at tct this year. printed a bit, dropped a metal thing over or into it and continued printing. They just paused the print, rather than haveng two seperate files.

Mind you they were making things like full sized metal framed rocking chairs with embedded printed usb phone charger :-)
    When you've got a metre square print bed to play with you can make big stuff.

I think my Next project is to build a printer to do the 'BIG STUFF' ! LOL

So I can Embed car and truck parts in them ! LOL
    The Wimpy stuff I'm printing Now is Too Light-weight anyway !
    Last edited by EagleSeven; 10-08-2015 at 12:09 PM.