Close

3D Printing a Comfortable Everyday Razor

Robert Hallifax of Ockham Razor Company finally tired of the world of abysmal disposable items enough to work on creating a new design — a 3D printed razor. Beginning with a rudimentary aluminum handle and a number of concept ideas, Hallifax turned to 3D printing and the services of 3D Hubs, upon finding out there was a hub a very short distance from him. Using PLA, he had his prototype in no time and has both manufacturers lined up for production, well as a Kickstarter campaign about to kick off. Find out more about his process and product in the full article: http://3dprint.com/45798/ockham-razor-kickstarter/

Below is a photo of Ockham Razor design:

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    well it looks like just about every cheap razor I've ever seen.

I guess reinventing the wheel is fun for some people :-)

Engineer-in-Training
    I couldn't care less about the shape of the handle. As long as I can grip it, it works. Scraping a blade across my face is the part that's uncomfortable though. When someone solves that problem (6th day laser razors anyone?) I'll take notice.

Engineer-in-Training
    Add Wolfie on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    well it looks like just about every cheap razor I've ever seen.

I guess reinventing the wheel is fun for some people :-)
    Well, hazard to guess how many wheels have been 3D printed so far by thousands of 3D enthusiasts across the planet ? I suspect it would number in the millions.

Frankly, wheels are not that impressive as far as I am concerned. Many people falsely credit the wheel with many undeserved accomplishments throughout history. They tout how incredibly innovative it must have been when the first one was made.

I don't think so. See, the wheel is just a shape. Its usually useless. The person who deserves all the credit for innovation, is...well, the guy who invented the axle and put the wheel to work for the first time.

Ockham Razor Company, after developing an ergonomic, one-piece razor that went from handcrafted to 3D design to production through 3DHubs, is now ready to take their 3D printed prototype to full manufacturing. They’ve just launched a Kickstarter campaign, in hopes to raise £19K for full production, finishing, packaging, and fulfillment of several different razor options, including personalization with engraving. Check out the full article for more details on this Kickstarter: http://3dprint.com/57805/ockham-razor-co-kickstarter/

This looks dangerous - How do you grip it with a wet hand? If the handle profile were at least oval, there could be some control, but with a circular section there will be no torque control. If anyone has tried using cutlery with circular section handles they will know how difficult a 'grip' like this is to control.
    I see that some of the prototypes have slightly fluted handles, but this seems to have been engineered out.

Ockham Razor has been through the research and development phase, as well as crowdfunding, and now they are using the Indiegogo InDemand forum to offer pre-orders for both the metal cast and 3D printed travel razors. Sleek, affordable, and sensible, using basic cartridges, they represent the new wave of shavers--and offer something you’ll be proud to have in your bathroom. For more details, check out the full article: http://3dprint.com/97598/ockham-razor-indiegogo/