Close

Wanhao Duplictar I3 3D Printer Air printing

So I bought a Wanhao Duplicator I3 3 weeks ago and it never made a successful print since. The sample print that came with never finished printing because the extruder stopped feeding the filament but the printer thought it was still printing so the extruder just kept on moving about. I tried printing with Cura but the printer just refused printing the innards of the object so they were very unsupported. I am very frustrated with this right now and am looking for a way to fix this. If someone could please help me I'd be very grateful. The picture of the failed test prints are below.
    Attachment 7279

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    As to air printing, if it thinks it's feeding, but isn't, check to make sure your filament isn't jammed up some where. You should be able to pull it off the reel with just a little force. Pull off a few meters in the direction of the extruder where it encounters the issue, and see if it sticks. If it's smooth the whole time, then the extruder itself might be jamming. Check you're using the correct temps for the filament. This may be the issue, as you seem to be jamming after about the same amount of time. You might have heat creeping up the extruder head. Look into cooling options for your head if lowering your temps won't work.

As to hollow prints, just adjust your infill settings to change the interior support.

I believe the Wanhao Duplicator is an all metal extruder - if so, you can try seasoning. This is done by adding a bit of Canola oil to the end of the PLA and running it through at 230c. This provides a coating on the inside of the extruder allowing the PLA to glide through. You will want to get any stuck filament out first. I would try heating up to 250 and let sit for a while to see if the stuck material drips out. If not then nylon cleaning might be needed.