Close

Engineer-in-Training

Ooze in a 3mm vs 1.75mm setup?

So, which will potentially ooze less? I 3mm setup or a 1.75mm setup?

Hi, if by Ooze you mean the uneven surface of printed objects, then 1.75mm filament is usually Smoother.
    But the size of the Nozzle opening also greatly effects smoothness, Larger filament printers usually have larger nozzles, but not always.
    The nozzle movement Speed and other settings and type of plastic filament used, can also effect that surface smoothness.

Engineer-in-Training
    No, I mean filament coming from the nozzle after a retraction.

You need somebody who owns or owned both types of printers. Someone who actually bothered to have 2 non compatible filament diameters.

You see that is unlikely right ?

What I would say on this is simple : 3mm filament extruders are generally admitted to have higher output pressure (because bigger diameter), which would point to greater ooze. However, as explained above, the nozzle diameter has an impact too. I think it's safe to say as well that wether you have an all metal hotend with active cooling or not, the fine tuning of your retraction & temp settings.... all very important parameters.

If you're trying to decide whether 3mm or 1,75mm, 3mm filaments have a clear edge when it comes to high speed large volumes (think volcano hot end for instance). For precision works or up to midsize prints the 1,75mm diameter would be more effective.

That doesn't address the ooze issue, but I think other parameters have just as much influence on the end result : all metal hotend with active cooling or not, the fine tuning of your retraction & temp settings....

Oh Okay,
    A small amount is just Normal
    but if it's a large mount then there may be a problem.
    So, depends on how much you are talking about.
    A fan circulating air around nozzles will cool them quicker , reducing the amount of flow.
    Last edited by EagleSeven; 09-09-2015 at 08:25 AM.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by LambdaFF View Post
    You need somebody who owns or owned both types of printers. Someone who actually bothered to have 2 non compatible filament diameters.

You see that is unlikely right ?

What I would say on this is simple : 3mm filament extruders are generally admitted to have higher output pressure (because bigger diameter), which would point to greater ooze. However, as explained above, the nozzle diameter has an impact too. I think it's safe to say as well that wether you have an all metal hotend with active cooling or not, the fine tuning of your retraction & temp settings.... all very important parameters.

If you're trying to decide whether 3mm or 1,75mm, 3mm filaments have a clear edge when it comes to high speed large volumes (think volcano hot end for instance). For precision works or up to midsize prints the 1,75mm diameter would be more effective.

That doesn't address the ooze issue, but I think other parameters have just as much influence on the end result : all metal hotend with active cooling or not, the fine tuning of your retraction & temp settings....

Yeah, I guess I am looking for someone with experience in 3mm and 1.75mm. Right now I have a 3mm setup and I am getting some ooze. I read that a 1.75mm has less potential for ooze and a higher resolution due to the amount of filament needed to be extruded vs a 3mm setup.

I am contemplating making the switch to 1.75mm. I am using a e3dv6 hot end and have recently added a part cooling fan to my printer. The jury is still out on its effectiveness as I haven't had the need to print any parts of any significance.

Quote Originally Posted by tsteever View Post
    and have recently added a part cooling fan to my printer.
    Sorry I was unclear. I said metal hotend with cooling because a cooled metal hotend has a shorter heat transition zone, which means there is much less material available to be oozed. From that point of view, the melting chamber of a 1,75mm diameter hotend has probably a better ooze behaviour.

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    If your retract/advance settings between printing and nonprinting moves are set up properly, this should not be a problem.

We have used Both , the 3mm printer was old and used when we got it,
    and had other problems, with motherboard.
    So we got the 1.75mm CTC printer and it's been great.
    The 3mm filament is probably in a Land-fill somewhere . LOL