Close

MakerBot Filament Challenge

MakerBot likes to see their Thingiverse members getting creative solving 3D printing-related problems. To that end, they’ve launched a contest, the Filament Challenge, which encourages 3D designers and printers to come up with solutions for dealing with unruly filament. Create a clever way of storing filament and spools and you could win a 10-pack of MakerBot filament or a one-year membership to MakerBot MakeClub (plus some great discounts and offers). The contest submission deadline is 11:59 PM EDT September 16, 2015. More details on this challenge can be found here: http://3dprint.com/93661/makerbot-challenge/

Seriously? The deadline is midnight tomorrow (the forum thread summary is wrong, it's the 6th, not the 16th) and you guys just get around to mentioning it the day before? :P Luckily I submitted mine about a week ago. I'm hoping to add some more pictures before the deadline though.

A shame it's not a more general 'filament accessories' challenge, because in the last two days I've designed and prototyped a printable desiccant can that fits in the hub of the spool, for use with bulk rechargeable indicating silica gel. I think that'd be a more impressive entry than my spool holder. I store my spools in 4mil zip lock bags, and use a DIY solution to vacuum the air out of them.