Close

Thread: Watertight Vase

Watertight Vase

1.jpg

By watertight I mean this part will hold real water and not leak. I have printed several vase-like parts before, and they all leaked when I put water in them. This makes such parts far less useful than if they were water tight.

This part has double walls - not counting the spiral ribs which are really just decoration - and each wall is made with 4 loops. The bottom is also double walled with each surface made with 4 layers.

This photo
    2.jpg

shows what a layer height of 0.300 mm looks like. Normally I use 0.200 mm, but I wanted to see if increasing this as a way to reduce total print time would be OK. The final result is not as good as 0.200 mm, but I still think it is acceptable.

I used Craftware to slice the part, after running the original STL file through 3D Builder to correct errors. (The previous version of Craftware would not slice this part properly - thanks to Janos for the current set of updates.) Total print time for this part was 11 hours 11 minutes. If you want to print this yourself you can find the STL file here

https://pinshape.com/items/8200-3d-printed-watertight-spiral-vase

or here:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:978836

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    looks pretty good.

Might try printing a small one.

I've printed some cones that were watertight - just two layers.
    Pla seems to make better watertight items than abs.

Just started a 10 cm high one in clear pla - around 3 hours.

Interesting to see how it comes out :-)

simplify3d slices it in about 10 seconds.

Printing with 4 shells & top and bottom, 60mm/s, 0.3mm layer height.

Worked great, currently starting a 145 mm high one.
    That'll take 8 hours.

Well the small one leaks like asieve. Guess shrinking it down made the walls too thin. Shame as it looks great.
    The larger one I stopped after a couple of hours so that's just a shallow bowl - BUT it is totally watertight.
    So I'm pretty confident if I printed one at 145mm high it'd be fine for water and flowers.

What I might do next is another small 100mm one but enlarge the x&y axis to give thicker walls. Be a different shape, but should still look okay.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 08-27-2015 at 05:42 AM.