Close

Thread: Colander

Colander

My largest print to date, this colander should be usable for most any kind of fruit or vegetable washing or counter storage.

IMG_20150820_133856.jpgIMG_20150820_121839.jpg
    The print took almost 24 hours with a layer height of 0.200 mm. I sliced ​​it with Simplify3D.

The STL file is available here:
    https://pinshape.com/items/8191-3d-printed-colander2
    or here:
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:976922

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    holes are pretty big - lots of stuff will just fall out :-)
    peas, beans, small pasta, long thin pasta etc.

24 hours !

Okay let's see how fast i could actually print it :-)

okay yeah that's pretty big - had to shrink it down slightly to fit my printer.
    So a 6 inch tall one at 0.4 layer height I could knock out in under 6 hours. Looked like yours was nearer 8 inches.
    If you set layer height to 0.4 s3d says the ratio is wrong - ignore that and it prints perfectly anyway. Well it does on mine.

But defintiely more a waste paper basket than a colander.

For a colander you need small holes and mostly just in the base. It's only water you want to let out :-)
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 08-21-2015 at 05:59 AM.

Thanks for the feedback I see your point. Maybe I should have called it something else. I was thinking about things like grapes or mushrooms. But you are correct about the other things - beans for instance would not be a good match.

I could put holes in the bottom, but my thought was that would tend to weaken the whole structure. I printed it with 20% infill; maybe I should consider 100% with holes on the bottom.

I have pretty much defaulted on 0.200 mm for layer height and I really didn't even think about that when I made this part. Since it has fairly gently curves I can understand why a larger value would probably work OK. I'm trying 0.300 on a new part I'm printing now with somewhat more curvature, so we'll see how that goes.