Close

No updates in a while

I'm getting a bit worried. Haven't had any update in a while about the Peachy Printer. Would be nice to hear/see something from them today or tomorrow.

The last update was 3 business day ago.

What are you worried about exactly?

LOL, some kickstarter projects don't even give updates. They've already given 6, and have done other things to keep their backers update. They are doing just fine.

my fear

this is actually a sandwich

Still no more updates. I'd like to see something. We've gone this entire week without anything in sorts of an update

Technologist
    What sort of update are people expecting?

Let's look at the ones so far:

Update 1: just dealing with Kickstarter issues, not really any info on the printer

Update 2: answers to FAQs

Update 3: minor adjustments to the Kickstarter campaign to deal with comments from users

Update 4: new resins. This isn't really an update on the Peachy project at all, since the resins are produced by a third party.

Update 5: more answers to FAQs (mostly regarding resin)

Update 6: just a collection of articles about the Peachy

To summarise those, #1 and #3 just deal with initial problems with the Kickstarter campaign. We shouldn't expect more of these now that the campaign is working fine. #4 and #6 are really not something that the Peachy's creators can control - they can't write about new resins if there are no new resins to write about, and they can't write about articles about the Peachy if there aren't any of those articles.

That leaves the two FAQ updates. If we want more of these, we need some more questions! Preferably frequently asked ones.

The only other sort of update I'd expect is one dealing with production progress. I'm expecting that it'll be a fair while before we see any major production results, although the team is probably doing a huge amount of prototyping behind the scenes.

iplayfast: your post has been moved to this thread since it's dealing with much the same topic, specifically "we're getting worried about the lack of communication here".

The update I would like to see is showing off all the printer can do. It's a great idea and all, but I'm getting doubts about if it will actually work to any degree of usefulness. Show a bunch of prints being done, speeded up. show the yoda, the eiffel tower anything but a little cube.

Technologist
    The initial Peachy shipments aren't meant to go out the door for more than eight months (July 2014 delivery for "early bird" pledges according to the Kickstarter page).

Everything that follows is pure speculation and opinion.

Eight months suggests to me that we're looking at around six months of development time (resulting in a "production standard" prototype) followed by two months of turning that prototype into a mass-produced item. If the current Peachy hardware and software was capable of doing really nice, complex prints then we'd probably be looking at more like a week of development time (just cleaning up the prototype a little bit so it looks nice for production). Therefore the current Peachy hardware and software is probably not capable of doing such impressive prints, and won't be for a few months.

It's a bit like if you pay a builder to build you a house. Do you call him a week after he started and ask "I'm not really sure that the kitchen cupboards are arranged right. Can you send me a few photos of the completed kitchen so I can check?" Since the builder is probably still laying the foundations and hasn't even thought about the kitchen, your request is not likely to get a very positive answer.