Close

Page 92 of 411 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102142192 ... LastLast
    Add rcleav on Thingiverse
    I very rarely have to touch my printed corners. They are printed with PETG that I print at 260C. I don't usually print with ABS just PLA and PETG so my build plate very rarely gets above 75C so I don't have any melting or loosening of my corner mounts.
    They hold the glass steady yet are just loose enough to lift the glass out without messing with the thumbscrews.

I've only tried PETG by Makergeeks and I like how it prints albeit at a higher temp the ESUN PETG.
    I print MakerGeeks PETG at 255C and Esun PETG at 235C they both have worked great for me.
    It looks like Makergeeks filaments print at a higher temp the some other filaments.

Quote Originally Posted by rcleav View Post
    I very rarely have to touch my printed corners. They are printed with PETG that I print at 260C. I don't usually print with ABS just PLA and PETG so my build plate very rarely gets above 75C so I don't have any melting or loosening of my corner mounts.
    They hold the glass steady yet are just loose enough to lift the glass out without messing with the thumbscrews.

I've only tried PETG by Makergeeks and I like how it prints albeit at a higher temp the ESUN PETG.
    I print MakerGeeks PETG at 255C and Esun PETG at 235C they both have worked great for me.
    It looks like Makergeeks filaments print at a higher temp the some other filaments.
    My filament of choice is ABS but I went to PLA for two rolls and will not be doing PLA anymore so I may try PetG but I used to buy all of my filament (still have tons of rolls) from eBay and Hatchbox, etc.... but I am hearing some good stuff about Makergeeks and their prices are the same as eBay I used to buy at. Basically, if their filament stays at its current delivered price and is as good as I have heard I will stick with them. Now I just need a printer.

Btw, are these rods 8mm or the wiser choice of 10mm? They look like 8mm and that makes me sad considering the weight on them and after Emily said they had engineers working on this bigger printer I would have thought an engineer would know better. If these rods are 8mm how much do you want to bet the bigger printer will use 8mm to cut corners? 8mm is a shame on them for using it for even this one (the rod prices for 8mm and 10mm are exactly the same to me for g6 chrome hardened Misumi) let alone a bigger one which would mean even more sag.

Sometimes the settings from the panel confuse me...

I think my acceleration is 'off' as when I go to the settings page it reads 'Acceleration ON' and I think that means clicking on it will turn it 'ON' as that is how it is for the fan right? Clicking 'Cooling Fan ON' turns it on....

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAlchemist View Post
    My filament of choice is ABS but I went to PLA for two rolls and will not be doing PLA anymore so I may try PetG but I used to buy all of my filament (still have tons of rolls) from eBay and Hatchbox, etc.... but I am hearing some good stuff about Makergeeks and their prices are the same as eBay I used to buy at. Basically, if their filament stays at its current delivered price and is as good as I have heard I will stick with them. Now I just need a printer.

Btw, are these rods 8mm or the wiser choice of 10mm? They look like 8mm and that makes me sad considering the weight on them and after Emily said they had engineers working on this bigger printer I would have thought an engineer would know better. If these rods are 8mm how much do you want to bet the bigger printer will use 8mm to cut corners? 8mm is a shame on them for using it for even this one (the rod prices for 8mm and 10mm are exactly the same to me for g6 chrome hardened Misumi) let alone a bigger one which would mean even more sag.
    To me it seems like PLA is only the better choice when dealing with super fine detail, or overly artistic type prints. ABS is def my go to material.

You should try PeTG is you haven't bud...its great stuff, albeit a bit more costly per gram than PLA or ABS typically. Some say its a cross between PLA and ABS, I say that's wrong....it blows both those out of the water.
    The raw resin is considered an engineering resin, neither ABS or PLA are. You can't get the same definition with PeTG as with PLA, but it comes damn close, you will only notice a difference in the most smallest of details. As for finished prints rigidness and tensile strength PeTG seems to at least match ABS, it may be a bit better, hard to say as I don't really have the proper equipment for stress and tensile testing.

I can't say for sure as to the quality of material from MakerGeeks, but many who I have come to trust say its great stuff. I have used material from Orb Polymer, and its a tiny bit more expensive, but its quality stuff. And ya get free shipping on any order 3 spools or more. I also like Orb because they are based in Plano, Texas. I live south Texas myself, and Orb gets my order to me in 2 days.

edit:
    Stock Qidi poles are 8mm I think. People in this thread have mentioned both 10mm and 12mm upgrade kits online.

Add rcleav on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Syd_Khaos View Post
    To me it seems like PLA is only the better choice when dealing with super fine detail, or overly artistic type prints. ABS is def my go to material.

You should try PeTG is you haven't bud...its great stuff, albeit a bit more costly per gram than PLA or ABS typically. Some say its a cross between PLA and ABS, I say that's wrong....it blows both those out of the water.
    The raw resin is considered an engineering resin, neither ABS or PLA are. You can't get the same definition with PeTG as with PLA, but it comes damn close, you will only notice a difference in the most smallest of details. As for finished prints rigidness and tensile strength PeTG seems to at least match ABS, it may be a bit better, hard to say as I don't really have the proper equipment for stress and tensile testing.

I can't say for sure as to the quality of material from MakerGeeks, but many who I have come to trust say its great stuff. I have used material from Orb Polymer, and its a tiny bit more expensive, but its quality stuff. And ya get free shipping on any order 3 spools or more. I also like Orb because they are based in Plano, Texas. I live south Texas myself, and Orb gets my order to me in 2 days.
    Makersgeek is in Missouri so shipping to you should be pretty quick. The problem I had with them is they didn't ship my order for a week and then only after questioning them about it. I had ordered some PLA and PETG but they where back ordered on the PLA and didn't ship anything or notify me. After emailing them they quickly resolved things and just sent me PETG. Once shipped it arrived in 2 days with free shipping.
    On average I have only had to pay $21 to $26 including shipping on any filament spool.
    I've bought Hatchbox, ESUN, Makergeeks PLA, PLA+, PETG filaments from Amazon and Makergeeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Syd_Khaos View Post

edit:
    Stock Qidi poles are 8mm I think. People in this thread have mentioned both 10mm and 12mm upgrade kits online.
    12mm kits? WOW. Ugh, trying to find a link because I would replace them for sure if the price was right.

Yep, once I get a printer again I will try PetG because I don't do much artistic stuff I design parts so all of my stuff is of an engineering type where I want my prints to be spot on. I was so good with ABS on my printer I knew precisely what to make my hole sizes accounting for shrinkage so I tried [edited]PLA and of course everything was way off, lol. I got over that quickly but I made all of my parts in PLA (except for anything close to heat) and I just don't like the material. From LM8UU bearing holders to the simplest jig it just isn't good. I wanted a material that wasn't as flexible as ABS so PLA was perfect (no pet back then) but it doesn't take long and suddenly the bearing can slide out with gravity etc (Z rod) whereas the ABS I never had that issue. So, yeah for stuff like that PetG sounds like a perfect match from everything I have read, and seen.

Now having to read through 900+ posts to find about the upgrade kits.
    Last edited by DarkAlchemist; 04-13-2016 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rcleav View Post
    Makersgeek is in Missouri so shipping to you should be pretty quick. The problem I had with them is they didn't ship my order for a week and then only after questioning them about it. I had ordered some PLA and PETG but they where back ordered on the PLA and didn't ship anything or notify me. After emailing them they quickly resolved things and just sent me PETG. Once shipped it arrived in 2 days with free shipping.
    On average I have only had to pay $21 to $26 including shipping on any filament spool.
    I've bought Hatchbox, ESUN, Makergeeks PLA, PLA+, PETG filaments from Amazon and Makergeeks.
    Sounds like me as my cutoff for any filament is 25 dollars. I didn't like Hatchbox very much. I liked it but I didn't at the same time because it was too soft. JustPLA's PLA and ABS (yes, they make ABS too) everyone was raving about and that stuff was ooze city and wouldn't stick etc... I am unsure if my printer and it didn't get along or it really did blow but I would never buy that again.

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAlchemist View Post
    See, this is why when I see all of these printed glass corner holders on Thingiverse I laugh at them because if it can be printed it shouldn't be used on something that is going to get hot. Seriously, we use a heated bed to help it hold it down around the Tg of the plastic yet it is being used around the same heat source? Seriously? It makes no sense and I am surprised the holders work as I know from my own experiences those screws, even SS (only slows down the heat progression not stops it) can get hot enough to burn you a nice blister if it is touching the HPB especially when doing ABS and the HPB is at 110c.
    Ya, If I made some I'd at least be using Polycarbonate. I think the Tg is 140+ on that stuff. Of course it depends on how it is blended.

Alright, I went through all 92 pages and found no kits but I did find KludgeGuru talking about his 12mm rod upgrade he was doing but no results yet. I doubt a true kit exists and 8mm is far too crappy (you hear this QIDI TECH ) to be used considering the knock off you copied uses 10mm and they used 10mm for a reason. Did your engineers not understand this or were they overridden?

When I can get 10mm and 8mm smooth rods for the same price from a quality company like Mitsumi I know you being in China, AND a manufacturer, could do even better so there is no excuse for the use of 8mm rods. Even on this thread it talks about Z wobble due to the 8mm rods whereas the 10mm rods used by the manufacturer you copied didn't have it. SMH.

Quote Originally Posted by jfkansas View Post
    Ya, If I made some I'd at least be using Polycarbonate. I think the Tg is 140+ on that stuff. Of course it depends on how it is blended.
    Yep, PC is a nice one to use but very esoteric still.

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    I will have a kit in like 2 days. I have the platform. I am getting rods and bearings tommorrow. It isn't gonna be cheap but not overly expensive. The Carbon platform costs $50 just in itself. I went to Misumi to get hardened 10mm rods and linear bearings. They were reasonable and similar rods on amazon with questionable quality were about the same.

I can hook you up with a test set for cost plus a little if you want. And you can print your own plastic also if I send files.

Page 92 of 411 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102142192 ... LastLast