Close

Page 200 of 411 FirstFirst ... 100150190198199200201202210250300 ... LastLast
Results 1,991 to 2,000 of 4110
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    Because 10 is a really poor choice for any calculations. 12 is best (pennies and shillings) 16 is probably next best (lb / oz) 20 is OK, 2 is good but difficult for humans unless you do a seriously large amount.

Historically we use 10 because of the finger thing but it is not good at all.

The Mayans used 60 I think (probably my faulty memory there) and there is some tribe or other that uses each knuckle of the finger to count in base 12 somehow.

Either road up the metric system sucks and on top of that the French invented it so it can't be any good for that reason alone.
    Considering all decimal places are based on a factor of 10 I like it. One, ten, one hundred, one thousand, or going the other way of tenth, hundredth, thousandth, etc...

I see Qidi finally released their small(er) printer the X1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFB9UaGcvnc

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    Anyone have a nozzle leveling tool for the QIDI? Had my first extruder jam and realized it will be fun to get the two nozzles aligned if/when I need to do so.
    Not for the Qidi but the CTC so it still applies - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jx4CsazHm8A

Good luck.

Senior Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAlchemist View Post
    Considering all decimal places are based on a factor of 10 I like it. One, ten, one hundred, one thousand, or going the other way of tenth, hundredth, thousandth, etc...
    Not following that at all, sorry. What you are describing is the decimal system.

The hexadecimal system has the same format as does the duodecimal system.

Engineer-in-Training
    Not following that at all, sorry. What you are describing is the decimal system.

Take a guess what these systems are based off of......

None of this has any modern day bearing anyway (cept the mildly ant-french racism...that still fits =p).

Two clear reasons why metric is the better system at this current time for the entire planet:

1) Metric is (and has been) the native language of science, technology, and engineering.....3 major things that we use to define the progress of the human race as a whole.
    2)The entire planet uses metric to some degree, most places are doing so exclusively.

Senior Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Syd_Khaos View Post
    Take a guess what these systems are based off of......

None of this has any modern day bearing anyway (cept the mildly ant-french racism...that still fits =p).

Two clear reasons why metric is the better system at this current time for the entire planet:

1) Metric is (and has been) the native language of science, technology, and engineering.....3 major things that we use to define the progress of the human race as a whole.
    2)The entire planet uses metric to some degree, most places are doing so exclusively.
    That does not make it a good system. It makes it an archaic system that is based on our physical limitations.

Consider this. When doing division in base 10 you have only the numbers 5 & 2 that will give a whole result, base 12 gives you 2 3 4 and 6. The number of irrational solutions is vastly reduced when using base 12. A third of a £ in old money is 6 shillings and 8 pence, a whole number of things. A third of anything in decimal is a horrible number.

If the human race were to start again there is no way it would now use 10 as the basis for its counting system and in fact there are many many more calculations done in base 16 than anything else and even those base 16 calculations are often broken down to binary.

It is used because of history and thus it is easy to learn and easy to teach and that is all.

Engineer
    Yea..that's rubbish.

The spool I have says 230c on it, but anything under 250c or so will gum up and jam the nozzle within a few mins of printing. Managed to get a small print done with it at 258c, and it was still globbing bad...gaps in the material. Can look at the print and see plain as day its still to cold.

Also I would NOT suggest trying to run this with the feed gears that come with the Qidi. They are rather aggressivly toothed. You need a small toothed feed gear or it will tear up the filament trying to feed it. This stuff is soft...its liek printing with ninja/semi-flex type material, though no where near as server as rubberized materials.
    Ok Syd, you told me so. And I still had to stick my finger in the fire. Yeah I got some, and yeah it was the first jam I've had. So, I'm not a QIDI extruder virgin anymore. The stuff worked really well for a while, ran it at 230C with a 75C decreasing platform temp. Thick and creamy like ABS, prints came out perfect. I was thinking awesome stuff. Turned off the printer and came back later, no joy. No clue why.

Upon extruder evisceration, the filament appeared to have broken while inside the feed mechanism. Kind of doubled over and cracked. I drilled out the PTFE, the nozzle was clean. Put it all back together after chasing that darn brass sleeve under the file cabinet, and all seems to be working.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    Ok Syd, you told me so. And I still had to stick my finger in the fire. Yeah I got some, and yeah it was the first jam I've had. So, I'm not a QIDI extruder virgin anymore. The stuff worked really well for a while, ran it at 230C with a 75C decreasing platform temp. Thick and creamy like ABS, prints came out perfect. I was thinking awesome stuff. Turned off the printer and came back later, no joy. No clue why.

Upon extruder evisceration, the filament appeared to have broken while inside the feed mechanism. Kind of doubled over and cracked. I drilled out the PTFE, the nozzle was clean. Put it all back together after chasing that darn brass sleeve under the file cabinet, and all seems to be working.
    I have gotten a few small prints to work in that material. But anything over 3hrs or so seems to be a no-go as it will clog.
    The biggest issue I seem to have with it is over time it gets eaten by the feed gear, and the gear becomes smooth. And this is happening to me after 3-4hrs print time, and I am running both feed assembly and low-pro feed gear rated for materials like Ninja-flex on my right side. Still get jam after few hours.

Engineer
    I have gotten a few small prints to work in that material. But anything over 3hrs or so seems to be a no-go as it will clog.
    The biggest issue I seem to have with it is over time it gets eaten by the feed gear, and the gear becomes smooth. And this is happening to me after 3-4hrs print time, and I am running both feed assembly and low-pro feed gear rated for materials like Ninja-flex on my right side. Still get jam after few hours.
    This failure did appear to be in the feed mechanism, and there was nothing but shavings from that filament loading up the stock QIDI feed gears teeth. I guess that's to be expected as the feed gear was spinning with no filament motion. Longest (and last) print I did with it was about 2.5 hrs.

I gotta say, getting to the extruder and such for these repairs is a real pain. I cannot imagine performing the level of maintenance that you regularly execute. I would be spending all of my free time dis and re assembling with no time left for actually printing. And it probably wouldn't work then because I broke something. I guess all that practice must have a positive impact on how quickly you can strip one of these apart, but it took me hours...

Hexadecimal system is for geeks, nerds, and computer programmers. Sorry, not following that at all as the majority of the world is based on base 10 not base 16.

Page 200 of 411 FirstFirst ... 100150190198199200201202210250300 ... LastLast