Close

How do I mount E3D v6

My printer has a different kind of mounting than the E3D hot end. My hot end is broken right now. I was wondering if there was a way to mount this temporarily to print a mount. I have a hictop prusa i3. My old hot end was constantly jamming so i decided to go for a very good one.
    IMG_0812.jpgIMG_0813.jpgIMG_0814.jpg
    (Everything in the picture was just set together because I had taken it apart, that is why it may not look very good.)

From what I can see, you've got a U-shaped bracket which the bearings a bolted to, and the direct-drive extruder sits inside the U. I can't see a way of connecting the E3D without some kind of adapter, or printing a whole new extruder.

I think the reason your old hot end was jamming so often was heat creep. There's a heat break there, but without active cooling, heat will just travel up, cause thermal expansion of the filament and jam it nice and solid. The E3D is definitely a great replacement.

Unfortunately, a quick search doesn't throw up anything useful.

Engineer-in-Training
    Add Wolfie on Thingiverse
    Here is a suggestion. Find a local hackerspace. I am sure for a few bucks you could get one of the members to print you up an adaptor/extruder for it. And you might gain a couple friends in the process.

Also, does this help you out at all?
    http://wiki.e3d-online.com/wiki/E3D-v6_on_Prusa_i3

Mine came with a heatsink and a fan on that heatsink.
    I took my dremel tool and ground out some space on the face of the heatsink for the small screw that sticks out below the extruder, ensuring a good connection to that metal piece the extruder motor connects through. (sorry for not knowing terminology, new to 3d Printing.

Definitely took a little work, but was worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Djcurr View Post
    My printer has a different kind of mounting than the E3D hot end. My hot end is broken right now. I was wondering if there was a way to mount this temporarily to print a mount. I have a hictop prusa i3. My old hot end was constantly jamming so i decided to go for a very good one.
    IMG_0812.jpgIMG_0813.jpgIMG_0814.jpg
    (Everything in the picture was just set together because I had taken it apart, that is why it may not look very good.)