Close

Engineer-in-Training

Corner curling up

I am having issues with the corner of one of prints curling up. It is symmetrical design and the opposite corner is fine. After watching the print it appears that this is where the layer change is happening. Is there a way to clean this up? A wipe move? What is causing this? Retraction setting too high, not enough?

Attached are some pics.corner curl.jpgcorner curl2.jpg

Technician
    The issue could be a slight amount of filament leaking out during the z-axis lift.. ?? Perhaps try a slightly lower tempurature... do you have any filament oozzing out of the nozzle right before it gets up to temp?

Most slicers have a setting to randomize seam position. Slic3r has it for sure, if that is what you are using. That might be worth a try.

I have some curling problems as well on most parts with overhangs. No idea why. I've only ever tried printing with PLA thusfar, what material are you using?

Engineer-in-Training
    PLA. I tried a different slicer and it is better. Matter Control works a lot better for this but has issues in other areas. Every Slic3r seems to be a compromise.

I did get a little bit of oozing which is very evident when I set it to random seams. I am using a e3dv6 with 1.5mm retractions. The retraction is a bit on the hight side for that hotend i think. Most of the ooze is after a travel move. I think there is just too much pressure in the melt zone. I am thinking a 1.75 setup may be in my future.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by tsteever View Post
    PLA. I tried a different slicer and it is better. Matter Control works a lot better for this but has issues in other areas. Every Slic3r seems to be a compromise.

I did get a little bit of oozing which is very evident when I set it to random seams. I am using a e3dv6 with 1.5mm retractions. The retraction is a bit on the hight side for that hotend i think. Most of the ooze is after a travel move. I think there is just too much pressure in the melt zone. I am thinking a 1.75 setup may be in my future.
    Are you running a print cooling fan?

Engineer-in-Training
    Not for that print. I recently added one to my printer and haven't ran that particular print yet.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by tsteever View Post
    Not for that print. I recently added one to my printer and haven't ran that particular print yet.
    I would bet if you get some cooling on it that the curl would go away. Unless it is nozzle drool causing it.

Engineer-in-Training
    I have some curling problems as well on most parts with overhangs
    Probably because there is much less plastic below it to hold it down.