Close

Post Difference of 1.75mm and 3mm filament

I'm thinking about purchasing my third 3D printer(I'm a 3D hub), previous two models one is using 3mm filament while another is 1.75mm.According to my printing objects there are really not so much difference of these two filaments.Friend said I did not run the 1.75mm machine in correct way, so what's the right way?Should my third 3D printer 1.75mm?Guys please give me some idea.

now most printers on the marketing are using 1.75 mm, only a few 3 mm.
    this difference is mostly caused by extruder system, and I heard that 3 mm printer is not very good at flexible printing.
    So I want to ask:
    do you use flexible filament? can you find local 3 mm filament supplier?

3mm filament is becoming more and more scarce in my part of the world. I assume that has more to do with demand.

I also assume that 3mm filament is better for Bowden-type extruders. I speak under correction.

Hi EzioYes, I use flexible, but not that much, most by ABS.All filaments I got from Ebay, so never mind is local or not.I checked some files and think that 1.75mm/3mm are because of two different open source technologies, like original Makerbot and Ultimaker. The difference is feeding method, not diameter.Correct me if I'm wrong.

Engineer
    3mm standard is FUBAR, it's been always 2.85 until some major misleading took it for 3.00 and now messed up the whole market. There's reason why it has 1 significant values.... it's been round up.

I can tell you if you ever put true 3.00mm in the Ultimaker you will just increase your jamming chance by a lot.....

Got it!But still the same question, which is better?Or there is no difference of these two filaments, but difference of two tech?

Engineer-in-Training
    I am contemplating switching over to 1.75mm. Not because the 3mm is harder to get but based off of info I have been able to find online. The most compelling argument I have read is that the 1.75 is extruded with less pressure at the hotend and would print with a higher resolution. These are not very scientific reasons cause one would assume that pressures would be the same and that the resolution would be the same. I do know that the 1.75 would need more filament per mm to extrude the same amount so perhaps the resolution argument has some merit.

I just like to tweak things is basically why I want to switch.

Hi, 1.75 mm. for same brand, same type, no much difference between 1.75 and 3, as far as I can tell.
    But 1.75 mm printers are more

Agreed, ok I will pick 1.75mm, then I can have more chance on the printers.Is there any guys have experience with SLA model Form1+, how about this machine?